Never Naturalized. Now what?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Eton

Never Naturalized. Now what?

Postby Eton » 27 Mar 2007, 22:54

Hey everyone,

First off, this is such a great forum with so many useful tips!

I'm going all the way back to my Great Grandfather. I don't forsee any problems in getting birth and marriage certificates from Italy; however, I found a 1930 census that shows he was still not naturalized (at the time of the census, my grandfather was already 11-years-old, qualifying me). From what my grandfather can remember, he never was and always remained an Italian citizen. If that is true, do I still need to go through the entire process of searching for the naturalization records and getting the "no record" certificate? Or is there a way to just get a certified copy of the census that proves he was still a citizen after my grandfather was born?

And on a side note, anyone know of ANY faster way of getting citizenship than either having to wait at the Los Angeles consulate for ages or moving to Italy? There has got to be an easier way.

I live about ten minutes from the consulate. Would my best bet be just to drive down there and see if I can get an appointment? Or will they just laugh in my face?

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Never Naturalized. Now what?

Postby JamesBianco » 27 Mar 2007, 23:29

The only loophole I can see is that IF your grandfather was born in Italy, and his father became a citizen before he was of age, he would have been naturalized as well, eliminating qualification for Italian citizenship via Juris Sanguinis for any of his descendants. He would have to have been born in the USA (your grandfather) to have kept his citizenship rights if his father became a citizen before he was of age.

Let's just hope his father either waited long after his son became an adult, or didn't naturalize at all. For your benefit at least.

Jim :)

Eton

Postby Eton » 27 Mar 2007, 23:43

Fortunately, grandpappy was born in America, therefore maintaining both of his citizenships.

My main dilemma is paperwork. Do I have to get a statement of "no records?" Or can I just get a certified copy of the census? I'm 99 percent positive that he was never naturalized because at the time of the census, he was already 55 years old, and died shortly thereafter.

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 28 Mar 2007, 01:44

A certified copy of the census will not prove citizenship or lack of it. The census is not that accurate. It can be used as a "guide" and we do reference it, but it is filled with errors and inaccuracy.

Debbie

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 28 Mar 2007, 12:42

Sorry, but you need to go through the hurdles like everyone else. As Debbie points out, the census is not considered an infallable document. Sometimes people gave incorrect information, and sometimes information was recorded inaccurately.

You will need to go through the step-by-step process to document that citizenship was passed generation to generation beginning with your great grandfather. Your first step, of course, is to obtain the "no record" letter, which appears to be the most time consuming process.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”