HAVE DATE OF ARRIVAL AND SHIP BUT CAN'T FIND MANIFEST

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

HAVE DATE OF ARRIVAL AND SHIP BUT CAN'T FIND MANIFEST

Postby czeffer » 28 Mar 2007, 00:16

OK - I was able to find through research that my husbands great-grandmother was born in Licata Italy. According to her second husbands naturalization records she arrived in the US through NY on Sept 12, 1914 - but I didn't know the ship. I searched and search through the Ellis Island site and can't find any record of her - using different variations of she name. I went to the Federal Records Center in Fort Worth today and found that there was a ship that came into NY on Sept 12, 1914 - Ancona Palermo. It appears (through searching) that there was a ship the SS Ancona Palermo. I tried to look up the ship but the records center did not have the roll of film that I needed. If anyone has access to the film or knows another way I can find the manifest I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to find out who she came over with as there are 2 unaccounted for children that were also born in Italy.

Her 1st name has been spelled six different ways in different records -
Magdalene, Mandelana, Madaline, Madalena, Magdalone, Madeline. Her birth surname was Nerea. Her name at the time she crossed (at least this is what I beleive it to be) was Morell. She was born Dec 20, 1890 - which would have made her 24 when she arrived.

Thank you - Cheryl

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: HAVE DATE OF ARRIVAL AND SHIP BUT CAN'T FIND MANIFE

Postby nuccia » 28 Mar 2007, 01:08

Upon a quick search, I found one female passenger meeting your criteria but she arrived Dec 1914 and her name was Pasqua Morell. The name was later amended to Signeri and she was born 1890.

If you think it could be her, I can link the record. Otherwise, if you could provide us with the name of her father, mother or any other info we can try to work with that.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby eyetalgal » 29 Mar 2007, 15:51

This may be a long shot...I searched the 9/12/1914 passenger list for the s.s. Ancona and couldn't find anyone that looked close. So I searched other trips made by this ship in 1914 and found the following:

Maddelena Setrino (Looks like Letriro to me) from ALI, Italy..leaving her mother Agata in ALI, meeting her husband at 139 Broadway, Astoria, NY.
24 years old, housewife.

The following may have been traveling with her.

Biagio Davi, 16, laborer, Ali, Leaving father Giuseppe in ALI, meeting uncle Antonio Davi at 139 Broadway, Astoria, NY

Agatino Davi, 17. Laborer, Ali, Leaving father Antonin in Ali, meeting uncle Lautr? Bonairgo? at 139 Broadway, Astoria, NY

The ship left naples on 3/25/1914 and arrived NY 4/7/1914

czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby czeffer » 01 Apr 2007, 04:35

Thanks but neither of these make sense.

I don't trust the paperwork 100% on the date. Plus I found there were other ships that came in that day that weren't on the microfish that I looked at - so it is possible she was on another ship = or the day could just be totally wrong.

After more research the only surnames she might have used are Andre or Morell and their variants.

Any help is appreciated.
Grazie mille - Cheryl

wiseguy203

Postby wiseguy203 » 10 Apr 2007, 16:30

Cheryl,

I had a similar situation where I had a date, port and ship, but still could not find the name via a search. So instead I opened the manifest and went page by page reading each name (most don't have that many pages). With the opportunity for errors both at the time of the original recording of the name and then at the more recent time of transcription, I knew there was a chance that the person was actually on the list. I've found the pay site ancestry.com to be more user friendly to this type of search over the free ellisisland.org site. In fact, on ancestry.com you can pick a port, a year and a month and see a list of every ship that arrived that month. Depending on the port you are searching you can sometimes search by the specific day of arrival.

At the same time, I've searched for a ship specified in naturalization paperwork, and discovered that the named ship didn't visit the specified port in the given year. So, indeed the info can be inaccurate as well. I believe this inaccuracy is mainly possible because after a certain year the wives of naturalized husbands did not have to have their arrival certified as was normally the rule. Therefore, arrival information went unverified in those cases. Also keep in mind that Italian women keep their maiden name so they will appear traveling under their maiden name and not the married name as you may know them.

Anyway, by going page by page I found the person for whom I searched on the manifest, and yes the name had been inaccurately transcribed. In fact, I've used this technique a couple of times to find specific names ;-)

Good luck and let me know if you want more detail about my method for searching the manifest.

Ryan

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”