Scheduling an Interview at the Italian Consulate in NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tessio

Scheduling an Interview at the Italian Consulate in NYC

Postby tessio » 29 Mar 2007, 02:21

Does anyone have any idea why it takes so long for an interview at the Italian Consulate? Otr have any suggestions on how to speed it up?

I am working towards getting my paperwork for my citizenship (my husband is Italian) and I have papers from Chicago (where I used to live) and Colombia (where I was born,) but I recently received an email from the Consulate telling me that my interview is scheduled for November!!

According to Consulate rules, all dated paperwork for citizenship expires in 3 months, which means everything I have collected thus far (and all the money I have spent traveling to get it) is for naught! If I cannot get to see them sooner, I will have to start the process all over again in August and will be out hundreds of dollars!

Needless to say, I am very distraught over this. I emailed the Consulate, but they just told me to "keep trying." Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance.

mler
Master
Master

Re: Scheduling an Interview at the Italian Consulate in NYC

Postby mler » 29 Mar 2007, 12:20

It's unfortunate, but it appears that he NYC consulate has a severe backlog. Only last year, the waiting period for an appointment was one month; now it is almost a year.

They had one man working in the citizenship office until August 31, 2006; then, a new group came in. I thought it would speed up the process, but that has not proved to be the case. Either they are less efficient or there are many more applicants.

Perhaps they will allow you to mail in your documents. They can then place a "date received" stamp on them and then finalize the application in November.

Have you had any luck with them in terms of responses to e-mail questions?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”