How does one qualify for dual citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
EireItaliaDonna

How does one qualify for dual citizenship?

Postby EireItaliaDonna » 06 Apr 2007, 02:12

My grandfather was born in Italy and came to the US when he was a little younger than 2 years of age in 1906.

I have no idea if he was naturalized at any time. How would I learn whether he was naturalized or not?

He married my grandmother and she was born here in the US. Would that have been the naturalization process through marriage?

Is there a cut-off for obtaining your dual citizenship? I heard that Ireland had an opportunity to get dual citizenship but it was for a limited period of time or had a deadline. Is it the same way with Italy? :) Curious...

mler
Master
Master

Re: How does one qualify for dual citizenship?

Postby mler » 06 Apr 2007, 18:47

No cut off date at this time. If you are going through this line you would first have to document that your grandfather never naturalized or naturalized after your father (mother) was born. If you are going through your mother, you would also have to have been born after 1948.

Why not check census records first. They will indicate naturalization if it occurred. If you provide more specific information, some of the nice people on this forum may be able to help you.

Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How does one qualify for dual citizenship?

Postby Gildone » 07 Apr 2007, 18:07

What you have to find out is if your great-grandfather ever naturalized. If he did while your grandfather was still a minor, then your grandfather may have by become a US citizen by default which may impact your eligibility. I would find out if/when your great-grandfather naturalized and if it was when your grandfather was a minor, then check with your consulate (and let us know what you find out).

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”