How long a wait for NYC docs.?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

How long a wait for NYC docs.?

Postby Poipuo4 » 11 Apr 2007, 19:34

Not too long ago, I posted on this board about how quickly I got back documents from the NYC Municipal Archives. I also have a recollection of receiving a 1994 death certificate after only a few weeks wait. Well, I spoke too soon! :oops: I just requested some documents from the Dept. of Health, as they are from the 1950s and are not housed in the Municipal Archives. I have been waiting for slightly over a month for some death certificates. I supplied payment, a copy of my license, and my relationship. No reply yet. Is this a normal wait? I asked for genealogical copies. It is just for my use, not for dual citizenship.

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How long a wait for NYC docs.?

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 11 Apr 2007, 19:48

I requested a genealogical copy of my grandfather's death certificate in early January, 2007 and received it March 26th.

I provided the exact date of death (1940's, by the way), his exact name, the hospital in which he died, city, county, etc. Because the death was in Westchester, the certificate had to come from the New York State Vital Stats office, not NYC.

FWIW, I sent a request for my father's birth certificate to New Jersey Vital Stats the same day and it arrived just a few days ago.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 11 Apr 2007, 20:03

I can confirm this. The approximate wait time for those older documents is three months.

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 11 Apr 2007, 20:09

I have sent away to NJ State for several records - births and deaths. It has always taken 3-4 months to get the record in the mail. I even had to wait this long to get a copy of my own birth record. None of the requests involved apostilles either.

Debbie

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 11 Apr 2007, 20:20

Thanks, everyone! I suppose one must be patient! The NYC Municipal Archives really spoiled me because I would get those older documents within 2 to 3 weeks.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 22 Apr 2007, 15:29

As an aside, for "events" (birth/marriage/death) that occurred outside the five boroughs of New York City, often the fastest results can be had by going directly to the registrar or clerk of the town in which the event occurred. Documents can often be had in a matter of days instead of weeks or months.

Where the event occurred; not the place of residence. For birth or death, this often means the town in which the hospital was located.

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 23 Apr 2007, 13:25

Just wanted to update everyone that I finally got my NYC documents. It took approx. one month and three weeks from the time of my request.

Eton

Postby Eton » 02 May 2007, 21:15

I got my great grandfather's death certificate from the NYC department of health in about 3 to 4 weeks, but another member on the board had managed to find the exact certificate number for me, which I'm sure sped up the process.

I also just got one of the birth certificates I needed from Italy. Took only 3 weeks! Love them Italians!

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 03 May 2007, 20:16

I have sent to NYC for 16 death certificates and 10 marriage certificates. I got them all within 10 days of sending. Now, I just sent off some requests for naturalization applications. I will let you know how long that takes.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 03 May 2007, 20:29

The municipal archies for the older documents seems quite speedy. It is the post 1947 documents that in my experience seem to take longer.

Eton, congrats on the quick turnaround for Italian docs. I got mine from Feroletto della Chiesa in a matter of two weeks. However, I am still waiting for Paduli to reply after about 2 months.

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 03 May 2007, 20:30

Ohhh! I just got "veteran" status with that post!

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 03 May 2007, 22:04

Poipuo4 wrote:Ohhh! I just got "veteran" status with that post!

Congratulations!!! And. . .your bear is almost as cute as mine. :D

MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Postby MikeSavoca91 » 04 May 2007, 00:49

I requested quite a few things from the archives, some took longer then others, but I have had anywhere from two weeks to 2 months. Depends I guess.

Mike

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”