Immigration

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Candelari

Immigration

Postby Candelari » 03 May 2007, 02:29

I live in Australia but am a US citizen under a 4/5/7 work visa. My Garandparents were born in Sicily and lived there until their 20"s, then they migrated to the US. My father may have been born there as well. I am having to check our records to verify that.
I was told that if my father or Grandfather were born in Itaily that I would aumtomaticall qualify for a passport... is that true?

Thank you,

C. Candelari

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Immigration

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 03 May 2007, 07:00

Simply put, if your father was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, then you are one as well. In your case, the possibilities are:

1) Grandfather born in Italy. Father born in US *prior* to grandfather becoming naturalized US citizen (actually, prior to renouncing his Italian citizenship).

2) Grandfather and father both born in Italy, you are born in US *prior* to father becoming naturalized US citizen.

If #2, you are in great shape as the number of docs required to prove your case would be greatly reduced.

Visit http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... tadinanza/ for more info. Don't miss the "(please click to download a detailed information kit)" link as the doc contains lots of useful stuff.

Candelari

Postby Candelari » 04 May 2007, 00:31

Thank you that's awesome!!! Looks like I'm may be able to head that way after Australia. Now for the tricky part... how do I prove it? My gandfather and father have both passed. What department of the gov can help me prove their Italian citizenship?

Cheers mate,

C.Candelari

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 05 May 2007, 04:32

Here is a handy FAQ, including documentation needed for Italian citizenship:

http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm

wldspirit :D

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”