Experience with American/Italian Dual Citizenship Process?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
verofigo

Experience with American/Italian Dual Citizenship Process?

Post by verofigo »

I have read so many instructions saying what documents are required and it feels like the more I dig into this the more confused I become. I was wondering if anyone has gone through or begun the process of obtaining dual Italian/American citizenship? This will be done through my great-grandfather born and married (I believe) in Italy. I am almost certain he was born in Vaglio Basilicata and I can only use those dates indicated on his tombstone. However, a contact from the comune stated there were no records matching the dates I gave. And we all know that you only get what you ask for, no extra work will be done. Another issue is the naturalization. It was shown on the 1920 US Census that he was in the first papers phase and he died in 1924 meaning he was never actually naturalized (most likely). Either way, this will mean nothing because my grandfather was born prior to any naturalization. I am rambling now. Sorry everyone. I guess I just need to know the most efficient way of executing this whole process. Is it best to focus on one document at a time or start requesting other documents simultaneously? What about name changes, etc. etc. etc.. Can I do this on my own or should I just put it in the hands of a service and pay the fees? .Any assistance would be appreciated. :D
mler
Master
Master

Re: Experience with American/Italian Dual Citizenship Proces

Post by mler »

You ask a lot of good questions. I would start with the naturalization documents because getting a "no record" letter (and it appears that your greatgrandfather did not naturalize) often takes a while.

You will also need your greatgrandfather's birth and marriage certificates from Italy. See if you can locate the marriage certificate, because that may provide additional information on his date and place of birth. Although your grandfather may have lived in Vaglio Basilicata, he may not have been born (or had his birth certificate registered) there. Try some of the nearby communes, and ask them to search within a range of years. If you are still unable to locate his documents, it may be well worth your while to hire a professional service.

You should be able to obtain the U.S. documents and apostilles on your own with little difficulty. Don't worry about amendments now; you may have no amendements needed on your documents.

Make a list of the line of citizenship and the documents you will need at each level. Then begin requesting those documents. A google search will take you to websites with instructions for obtaining documents and apostilles in each state. Be sure, however, to request documents in long form suitable for apostille. After you receive the documents, send them out for apostille. All of this can be done by mail.

As you begin to get your documents, you may wish to schedule an appointment with your consulate. Some have longer waits than others, so you may be setting up an appointment before all your documents are received. It is usually not a problem if, by your appointment date, your file is not totally complete. They will often allow you to send additional documents when they come in.

Good luck with the process.
verofigo

Post by verofigo »

I would like to thank you for your reply and I am sorry that I took so long to say "Thanks!" I know there are a lot of people that have gone through this process and I do not want to whine or act as though I am not doing my homework, but lets face it....the reason so many people have questions is because information is scattered or incomplete and as many have experienced, you obtain one bit of information and need 20 more to complete the task. I have been fortunate in that it took no time to find and obtain my grandfather's Italian birth and marriage certificates from Italy. They are in the mail as I write this. My concern now is obtaining a letter of "no record of naturalization" from the USINS. What is the best possible method of going about this? I know I will need to send a request to search letter. In this letter what exactly should I ask for? Should I include all possible names (first and last) that my grandfather could have been listed under? Also, considering that I need to submit all documents with the same exact spelling to the Italian Consulate, how should I convey that I need the letter of "No Record" to state that no records were found for the exact name on the Italian birth certificate and I guess including all possible spellings? If there is anyone who has gone through this process and can tell me detail by detail what is necessary so as not to waste time I would greatly appreciate it.

Last question for now: if I receive Italian Citizenship, will my children automatically receive their citizenship even though they are no longer considered minors or will they need to initiate the process themselves. I read that once dual citizenship is acquired then this is automatically passed to any descendants. Of course there is no declaration that this is for children over the age of minor status.

Okay guys, that's all for now. Thank you so much for your help.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

I would try the LDS films for that town. We found our grandfather's birth year was off by 2 years by scouring the baptismal records for his town.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

pastasugo wrote:I would try the LDS films for that town. We found our grandfather's birth year was off by 2 years by scouring the baptismal records for his town.
Yes, I agree. They had their reasons I guess but they all lied about their age back then. I assume it was to get jobs or maybe they didn't really remember. We had 3 birth years for my grandfather - the tombstone was wrong. Here's a link to the microfilms they have: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
Here is a link to their location: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp
verofigo

Post by verofigo »

No No...I have their Italian documents, what I want to know is the process for obtaining the letter of "No Record" from the US Department of Immigrations and Naturalization. Like I said, I want to be as thorough as possible in the letter I send to them so as not to waste time and I am viewing comments online that say it could take up to two years just to receive this letter.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

This will be done through my great-grandfather born and married (I believe) in Italy. I am almost certain he was born in Vaglio Basilicata and I can only use those dates indicated on his tombstone. However, a contact from the comune stated there were no records matching the dates I gave.
You stated you didn't have this record. That's why I suggested the LDS films.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

verofigo wrote:I have read so many instructions saying what documents are required and it feels like the more I dig into this the more confused I become. I was wondering if anyone has gone through or begun the process of obtaining dual Italian/American citizenship? This will be done through my great-grandfather born and married (I believe) in Italy. I am almost certain he was born in Vaglio Basilicata and I can only use those dates indicated on his tombstone. However, a contact from the comune stated there were no records matching the dates I gave. And we all know that you only get what you ask for, no extra work will be done. Another issue is the naturalization. It was shown on the 1920 US Census that he was in the first papers phase and he died in 1924 meaning he was never actually naturalized (most likely). Either way, this will mean nothing because my grandfather was born prior to any naturalization. I am rambling now. Sorry everyone. I guess I just need to know the most efficient way of executing this whole process. Is it best to focus on one document at a time or start requesting other documents simultaneously? What about name changes, etc. etc. etc.. Can I do this on my own or should I just put it in the hands of a service and pay the fees? .Any assistance would be appreciated. :D
Hello,
when you write to Vaglio, request to check in the 10 year alphabetical index of birth, since the birth year could be wrong.
Before writing them collect all and any info from ellis island, ssn, census,ecc.
To get the naturalization papers from USCIS I know it takes a long time because there are about 80000 requests at the moment.
The naturalization paper is one document you may wait up to one year.
For the birth certificate from italy, it depends how detailed is the request, if written in italian, if there are records and so on.
You can do it by yourself.
If you find the right professional service to pay, you will have less stress because you pay and many are worth.
I also know there are some service the make fake ones, some other they ask for less and they just send the letter for you and don't take care if the office keeping the records write a certificate or a negative answer.
bye Riccardo
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

verofigo wrote:Last question for now: if I receive Italian Citizenship, will my children automatically receive their citizenship even though they are no longer considered minors or will they need to initiate the process themselves. I read that once dual citizenship is acquired then this is automatically passed to any descendants. Of course there is no declaration that this is for children over the age of minor status.
If your children are minors, you apply for them. If they are adults, they will have to submit their own applications. This will be a simple process, especially if they reside in the same consular jurisdication as you do. You would then be able to use the same documents and submit your applications at the same time.