Born In Caracas, US citizen Italian parents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nicks

Born In Caracas, US citizen Italian parents

Postby nicks » 08 May 2007, 02:57

Hello everyone,
I just found this forum and it is terrific. I have a question and I do not know if it was asked before. My parents immigrated to and married in Venezuela in the early 50's. I was born in 1956. The whole family immigrated to the US in 1967 and I become a US citizen in 1980 or so. My parents also become US citizen soon after and are still living in NJ. Question, am i eligible for dual citizenship and if so what is the process and how do I go about it. My primary goal is to obtain my Italian citizenship as well as maintaining my American citizenship. Thanks[/align]

drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Born In Caracas, US citizen Italian parents

Postby drovedo » 08 May 2007, 13:34

1. Ask your parents if they still have their Italian passports. This is very important to make the process easier. Fewer docs will be required if they still have them.

2. If you were born after 1948 to an Italian mother then you can get your citizenship through her as well as your father. It is important that your
parents did not renounce Italian citizenship.

3. Next contact the consulate in the state that you live and speak to someone in citizenship division about their requirements. Requirements differ from consulate to consulate. Check out website below with list of consulates first and also check out the general requirements page.

http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... consolare/

4. Since 1967 US citizens could technically legally hold two passports when the Supreme Court ruled on a case. Since 1991, the US law changed. US citizens could now hold dual citizenship without penalty in most cases. So someone could actually have held dual citizenship since 1967 and not have their US citizenship taken away. You might be able to hold tri citizenship with US, Italy, and Venezuela. I would contact Venezuelan Embassy if you wish to find out and pursue that avenue. Its also legal in US to hold up to four different passports. The only caveat is that one must present US passport now to enter and leave US and territories.

5. Good luck!!! If you have any other questions about docs after you speak to consular officer, just contact me and I'll help you the best I can.

mler
Master
Master

Re: Born In Caracas, US citizen Italian parents

Postby mler » 08 May 2007, 15:13

Nicks,
If I'm reading your post correctly, you came to the U.S. as a citizen of Venezuela and then naturalized in the U.S. in the 1980's. Since Italy did not acknowledge dual citizenship until 1992, I believe your naturalization would constitute renunciation of any Italian citizenship you may have held up to that point.

If you did indeed lose citizenship through naturalization, you would be able to reclaim it by residing in Italy for one year. Your situation is a bit complicated, however, since you would have to document that you were an Italian citizen at birth (through your parents) using the procedure described by Drovedo.

You might make a claim that by naturalizing, you were renouncing only Venezuelan, not Italian, citizenship. I'm not sure how the consulates would treat such a claim.

Anyone out there with experience with something like this?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”