visa needed for jure sanguinis in Italy?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
buzzinrizza

visa needed for jure sanguinis in Italy?

Postby buzzinrizza » 08 May 2007, 03:20

I feel that I am very close to the last steps in obtaining jure sanguinis, however there is one thing that is causing me a little confusion. I am planning on attemting to apply in Italy and getting a permesso in atessa di cittadinanza to cover me while the process ticks on. I know that you don't need a visa to enter but if you plan on staying longer, you need to come with a visa. I have not seen a visa that seems to fit the purpose of applying for citizinship in Italy. Can one go to Italy without a visa and still apply for a permesso di soggiorno(maybe a tourist permesso) so the process can be started? Any advise would be wonderful

Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: visa needed for jure sanguinis in Italy?

Postby Gildone » 13 Jun 2007, 21:07

I've heard both that you do and that you don't. I would call your consulate.

pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby pastasugo » 14 Jun 2007, 11:01

Tourist permesso was abolished 2 June 07. There is no visa for applying jus sanguinis in Italy at the present time.

Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Gildone » 16 Jun 2007, 11:55

There never was a visa for jure sanguinis. There is a permesso di soggiorno in attesa di cittadinanza, but I've heard both that you need a visa of some sort (extended stay, student, work, etc) in order to get this and that you don't. I guess it depends upon how fast the comune can work. If they can get it done in 90-days or less, then you for sure wouldn't need a visa, but I don't think things usually work that fast.

I should add that ExpatsinItaly has a few personal stories of people who have gone this route.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”