What documents required?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
troopscott

What documents required?

Postby troopscott » 09 May 2007, 00:02

I am going to get my dual citizenship. Here is how I qualify

Great Grandfather Born in Italy came to US never naturalized. Grandfather born here
Father born here

From what I gather I need:

Great Grandfathers Birth Certficate from italy
Great Grandfathers marriage License from USA translated to Italian with an Apostle

Grandfathers Birth Certificate in USA translated to Italian and an Apostle on it
Grandfathers Marriage License translated to Italian with Apostle

Fathers Birth certificate translated to Italian with Apostle
Mothers Birth certificate translated to Italian with Apostle
Fathers marriage License translated to Italian with Apostle

My Birth Certificate trasnlated to Italian with Apostle
My Marriage License translated to Italian with Apostle
My wifes Birth Certificate translated to Italian with Apostle
My Sons Birth Certificate translated to Italian with Apostle
My Daughters Birth Certificate translated to Italian with Apostle

This should give my parents who are living, my wife and I, and my children citizenship.
My big question is this. My brother was adopted when he was about three years old. My parents had him since he was 3 days old and are somehow listed as the parents on his birth certificate. Does he qualify?

mler
Master
Master

Re: What documents required?

Postby mler » 09 May 2007, 00:30

You will need two additional items:

- a statement of "no record" to prove that your greatgrandfather never naturalized.
- death certificates for your deceased ascendents.

Otherwise, everything looks good.

Adoption sometimes presents complications even if the child in question is still a minor, which I suspect your brother is not. Since your parents are listed on his birth certificate as his parents, why even mention it? Submit his documents as you are submitting yours.

Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What documents required?

Postby Cathynap » 10 May 2007, 04:00

troopscott wrote:My big question is this. My brother was adopted when he was about three years old. My parents had him since he was 3 days old and are somehow listed as the parents on his birth certificate. Does he qualify?

In the US when you aare adopted you are given a new birth certificate that looks like a "real" birth cerificate. The original birth certificate becomes sealed and takes a court order to unseal. Noone can tell you are adopted because you have a birth certificate with adopted information on it. If you don't tell them they won't know.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”