Are they eligible for citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Are they eligible for citizenship?

Postby drovedo » 13 May 2007, 12:59

My cousins are descended from our grandfather through their mother who was born before 1948 in America.

My great grandfather was born in Italy and had Italian certificate of citizenship.
My grandfather was born in USA, but had Italian birth certificate and grew up there. (I'm checking to see if he had cert of Italian citizenship.)
My Aunts were born here before 1948.
Neither my great grandfather nor my grandfather ever renounced Italian citizenship nor did they naturalize as Americans.

Do my cousins who descend from my Aunts qualify for Italian citizenship via juris sanguinis?

Thank you very much!

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Are they eligible for citizenship?

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 13 May 2007, 13:42

drovedo wrote:My cousins are descended from our grandfather through their mother who was born before 1948 in America.

My great grandfather was born in Italy and had Italian certificate of citizenship.
My grandfather was born in USA, but had Italian birth certificate and grew up there. (I'm checking to see if he had cert of Italian citizenship.)
My Aunts were born here before 1948.
Neither my great grandfather nor my grandfather ever renounced Italian citizenship nor did they naturalize as Americans.

Do my cousins who descend from my Aunts qualify for Italian citizenship via juris sanguinis?

Thank you very much!

It's not a question of when your aunt was born (before or after 1948), but when her children were born. So long as your cousins were born in or after 1948, I believe they are good to go.

drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Are they eligible for citizenship?

Postby drovedo » 13 May 2007, 14:39

Ok. They were born after '48. Thanks!!!!!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”