Birth certificate woes

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aaronhunter

Birth certificate woes

Postby aaronhunter » 06 Jun 2007, 06:19

Well the good news is that my grandmother was totally wrong. I pulled up the documents and her naturalization happened on 1954! I'm in!

But now I have another hurdle to face...

Her birth certificate from the UK has no father listed. I guess her mother and her father had a huge fight before she was born. Her father is listed on her baptismal certificate several months later though.

Now I'm not sure what I can do...

Does anybody have any suggestions or advise?

pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Birth certificate woes

Postby pastasugo » 06 Jun 2007, 08:19

My great grandfather was born, lived, and died in Italy. My Great grandmother moved to England with a new husband and gave birth to my grandmother there.

You don't say if great grandmother's new husband in England was an Italian citizen. You need a male ascendant prior to 1948, as grandmother could not receive Italian citizenship from greatgrandmother in 1923.

I'm a bit confused why you mention the previous great grandfather in Italy. Was it his child that greatgrandmother gave birth to in England, while married to a new husband? Is this the cause of lack of a father's name on grandmother's birth certificate?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 06 Jun 2007, 11:46

I'm confused as well. From your previous posts, it appears that your greatgrandmother remarried and had a child in England. Who then was the father of your grandmother--the first husband in Italy, or the second husband in England?

If the former, you will need to trace your citizenship through him. As pastasugo notes, if the the latter, the second husband must also have been Italian for this to work for you.

aaronhunter

Postby aaronhunter » 06 Jun 2007, 18:59

Sorry if I confused everybody.

My grandmother was born in England. Her mother (my great grandmother) was Italian and I understand that she couldn't have passed on the citizenship.

My grandmother's biological father was Italian but he was not listed on the birth certificate. He was listed on the baptismal certificate several months later.

My grandmother's step-father who later (after her birth) married my great grandmother was also Italian.

I am contacting the UK to see what it would take to have her biological father's information added to her birth certificate.

The only other concern I have is that her biological father and mother (both Italian) were not married when my grandmother was born. I'm not sure if this would also cause problems with the consulate.

Thanks for your patience in my posts. I appreciate it.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 07 Jun 2007, 02:01

That your greatgrandparents were not married is not, in and of itself, a problem. It just complicates things because you now need to prove that he is the ascendent. The baptismal certificate will be helpful, but you'll need to check with the consulate to see if they require other documentation.

aaronhunter

Postby aaronhunter » 07 Jun 2007, 02:09

Great news. I'll keep you guys posted. Now if I could just get the Los Angeles consulate to return my calls o_O

aaronhunter

Postby aaronhunter » 08 Jun 2007, 18:09

Well I spoke with the LA consulate and I will need to have my great grandfathers name on her birth certificate. The fact that my great grandparents were not married is NOT a problem though.

I'm going to contact the UK general register office on Monday to see how I can have my grandmother modify her own birth certificate.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 09 Jun 2007, 16:48

If your grandmother is still living, this should not be too much of a problem (at least it wasn't a problem for me in NY--I had to change the spelling of my dad's name). New York required my father's original birth certificate, and that may be a requirement in London as well.

It seems, though, that you're on your way. Good luck.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”