Wanting to Start The Process....

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
laura83

Wanting to Start The Process....

Postby laura83 » 18 Jun 2007, 17:31

Ciao tutti!

My maternal grandparents emigrated to Canada following the war (from Piacenza) and I would like to get my Italian citizenship, but am having trouble knowing where to start.

My mother never had her citizenship recognized - will she have to do it first?

I have birth and marriage certificates for my grandparents, my nonna 'thinks' she has their naturalization documents somewhere but isn't sure. What else do I need other than long for birth certificates for my mother and I?

I'd be applying through the consulat in Toronto - does anyone have any tips? the Vancouver consulat has lots of info, but they state they can only help BC residents....

Also, my mother is very nervous about me sending these documents, as the Vancouver site states that they have to send originals; my Nonno is not well and my mother is worried that if I send the documents away, he may die and we'll be unable to burry him (without his birth certificate); is there a way to get around this?

Anyone who has been through the prcess and could offer guidance would be my hero - I would really like to go to Italy and teach english/ improve my italian when I graduate University next year.... but this just seems daunting at the least....

grazie!!!!!

Laura

mler
Master
Master

Re: Wanting to Start The Process....

Postby mler » 19 Jun 2007, 00:59

First, you need to determine if you actually qualify. Did your grandparents naturalize AFTER your mom was born? This is important, because if they naturalized before her birth, they could not pass citizenship to her.

Your mom need not apply (unless she wants to, of course).

You will need your grandparents' birth and marriage certificates, but you can send for new copies of these documents from the commune in which they were born and married. This should not take more than a month or two. You must also submit their naturalization documents.

You will then need to get long form copies (with apostilles) of:

Your mom's birth certificate
Her marriage certificate
Your birth certificate

Then, of course, you will submit your documents to Toronto. Best to make the trip and apply in person. Some consulates keep only copies of the Italian documents, and they will also return the original naturalization certificate. At the consulate you will complete the application, and if there is anything else you need, they will let you know.

Next year may be a bit optimistic. Collecting document, getting apostilles, and obtaining translations can be time consuming. I don't know how things are moving in Toronto, but in many U.S. consulates the wait time after application is approximately two years.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”