Please help me get my Italian Citizenship!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
seaweedotter

Please help me get my Italian Citizenship!

Postby seaweedotter » 24 Jul 2007, 23:00

I am sorry if this has been asked already, but I have alot of questions about trying to recieve a dual citizenship. I am sorry if this is long winded, but I want to give as much information as I can.

I was born in America, so I am an American citizen. My father was born in Grosetto, Italy. He is a resident alien with an Italian passport. He has never become naturalized or reounced his Italian citizenship.

I want to get my Italian citizenship through the paternal line.

I have been to many websites and every single one has a different list as to what I need to become an Italian citizen.

My parents are both still alive, and married, and my mom is also an American citizen.

I am married to an American citizen and he is not trying for Italian citizenship.

So, the question is, what paperwork *EXACTLY* do I need to become an Italian citizen?

Can I do all of this over the phone and through the mail, or will I have to visit a consulate? I live in a small town in the south and will not be able to afford a trip to Miami or New York if that is where I need to go.

How much will it cost? How long will it take?

And where exactly do I need to send all of this once I do get it all together?

Will I have to get everything translated into Italian? And if so, can my father (who still speaks fluent Italian) translate it? If he cant do it, who has to?

Also, will all the paperwork need that apostille mark? How do I get that and how much will it cost?

I apologize that this is alot of questions.. but I have been researching for weeks and I am frustrated beyond belief! I dont want you to think that I havent tried.. I have. But I am getting nowhere fast.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: Please help me get my Italian Citizenship!

Postby peggymckee » 25 Jul 2007, 02:00

In my opinion, this message board is better for the kind of questions you are asking.

http://www.icgsmb.com/board/

Good luck. Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 25 Jul 2007, 02:24

Since your father is still Italian, you may want to ask him if he registered your birth with the Italian consulate. If he did, you are already an Italian citizen. If he did not register your birth, you would probably need:

Your father's Italian birth certificate
His marriage certificate
Proof that he is a resident alien and never renounced citizenship (I'm not sure what documentation that would be, but it seems that a copy of his resident alien card and Italian passport would do it.

Your birth and marriage certificates would also be required, and your husband (if he wishes) can apply for citizenship through marriage after your citizenship is recognized.

Your children's birth certificates (then they too can become dual citizens)

So, really, the number of documents you will need is minimal, and since your father already has his Italian documents, this is an easy process.

You will, however, need to get new copies of the U.S. documents (marriage/birth certificates) because you generally cannot get an apostille for documents issued after six months have elapsed. The cost will depend on the state, but generally you can budget about $15 for each long form document and $10 per apostille. Your costs should be less than $100.

The documents and the apostilles can be obtained by mail, but unfortunately, you will need to apply in person at the consulate that serves your jurisdiction. It will probably take no more than three months to obtain your documents, so it would be a good idea to schedule an appointment now. Most consulates have long waiting periods for appointments. Remember, you need apostilles only for those documents that do not originate in Italy.

Your father can certainly translate the documents for you. He should then write a statement (that he signs and has notarized) stating that he translated the documents and that they are accurate.

There is no way to determine how long the process will take. It depends on the consulate and the number of applications that have yet to be processed. But since you are the child of a current Italian citizen, I would not be surprised if your application moves quickly.

BTW, do a quick google search, and you can find out the procedure for obtaining an apostille from the state in which your documents originate.

msebastian10

Postby msebastian10 » 29 Jul 2007, 01:22

Hi,

I'm an Australian, and have got my Italian dual citezenship..

It's not actually a matter of "becoming" an Italian Citizen.

If your Father still retains his Italian Citizenship, then all you will need is his birth certificate and your certificate
As far as th"e Italian government are concerned, if you can produce these you always "were" an italian citezenship..

Where it can be tricky though, is your father also an american citizen? and were you born before or after he became an american citizen?

Also, after 5 years of marriage, I believe your husband will be entitled to citizen ship..

And no, you cannot do this over the phone, your best bet is to go to the consulate, take everything you can possible dig up, and you may have to go again a second or even a third time..

the whole process can take up to 2-3 months to get your passport.

pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby pastasugo » 30 Jul 2007, 03:51

Also, after 5 years of marriage, I believe your husband will be entitled to citizen ship..

6 months if in Italy, 3 years if abroad.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”