One more question.. where is my consulate? Do I have to go?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
seaweedotter

One more question.. where is my consulate? Do I have to go?

Postby seaweedotter » 24 Jul 2007, 23:48

If I live in South Carolina, where is my closest consulate (the one I am required to deal with) and will I have to actually go there and talk with them? If this requires a trip, I may not be able to do it. I am really worried that this is the case.

Thanks.

mler
Master
Master

Re: One more question.. where is my consulate? Do I have to

Postby mler » 25 Jul 2007, 02:39

I believe yours is the Miami consulate, but you would only need to go there one time--to present your papers and complete your application. I replied to your other post, and it seems that you will need very little documentation so that part will not be too costly.

How far are you from Miami? Perhaps you can do it with only one overnight stay, or (if you have someone to share the driving) you can make it a "red eye" trip.

I hope it works out for you.

seaweedotter

Postby seaweedotter » 25 Jul 2007, 02:45

So do I ABSOLUTELY HAVE to visit a consulate? There is no way around that?

Miami is probably a 12 hour drive. I cant do that.. If I have to visit then then I probably wont even get started trying to become an Italian citizen beause I cant do it between school and work and a lack of money.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 25 Jul 2007, 11:17

Why not call them and ask if it's possible, for hardship reasons, if you can do this by mail. As far as I know, the consulates want you to appear in person, but they might make an exception if you explain to them that your father is now, and has always been, Italian.

If it is not possible, you can always gather the documents and wait until circumstances make it easier for you to take that trip.

Hope things work out.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”