Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sg12

Naturalization

Postby sg12 » 25 Jul 2007, 05:42

I have always assumed my grandfather was naturalized. He came to the USA when he was 2. I noticed that the 1910 and 1920 census say he is alien, (according to N.J. 1910 census my great grandfather was naturalized)
My grandfather joined the army in Ohio is 1916. In 1930 in the Ohio census he says he was born in New Jersey. I know for a fact he was born in Italy (family certificate). He always told my father he was born in New Jersey. Would he have been naturalized before joining the army? How can I find out if he was naturalized?

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Naturalization

Postby wldspirit » 25 Jul 2007, 06:28

You may find the following links to be helpful in understanding the naturalization process. Your grandfather may have derived citizenship from his father.
http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html

This link also includes info with regard to the military/naturalization:
http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html

To search for your great grandfathers naturalization, you would need to send a request to the state archives.

Ohio:
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/arc ... tural.html

New Jersey:
http://www.njarchives.org/links/webcat/ ... atura.html

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

sg12

Postby sg12 » 25 Jul 2007, 06:47

Thank you for your help

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 25 Jul 2007, 06:53

Do you have access to Ancestry?? Have you checked for any available online listings of naturalization records??

If you provide his first and last name we may be able to locate something for you...but no guarantee........ :wink:
wldspirit

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 25 Jul 2007, 11:23

And maybe he really WAS born in New Jersey, and his family returned to Italy after his birth and registered his birth there. You may want to check the NJ records too.

sg12

Postby sg12 » 25 Jul 2007, 16:43

I do have access to Ancestry. The only naturalization I found was John Gregori. County Court Kings Count N.Y. Feb 2 1891. That could be my great grandfather. There are a few Giovanni Gregori's.
My grandfather was born in Italy not only the family certificate, ship manifest and census but a cousin has tthe information. Also all records found say he is born in Italy except the 1930 census.
My grandfather's name was Bortolo Giovanni Battista Gregori. He went by Giovanni until they came to Ameica and went by John and then by John Gregory. My great grandfather was Giovanni Battista Gregori. He went by Giovanni or John Gregori. They lived in New Jersey for the most part.
Thank you for your help

pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby pastasugo » 26 Jul 2007, 05:13

Would he have been naturalized before joining the army?

Not necessarily. Thousands of non-US citizens served in the the US military in WW I, WW II, and today. They have the option of taking an accellerated path to citizenship once they have been in the military for awhile, but it is not mandatory.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 26 Jul 2007, 07:37

New Jersey does not have alot of online content..... :?
You will need to send for documentation.
As for the record of Feb 2 1891, keep in mind the residency rule of 5 years. Did your great grandfather's immigration occur prior to that?
wldspirit

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”