is a lawyer helpful?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maddief
Rookie
Rookie

is a lawyer helpful?

Postby maddief » 30 Jul 2007, 19:58

I'm going to be applying for dual citizenship at the Consulate in Philadelphia once I have all my documents together (if that day ever comes...!). However, I heard a friend of a friend say that they knew someone who hired a lawyer to expedite the process and that they were awarded dual citizenship after a period of only three or four months (as opposed to the year-long wait I've been hearing about). Is this true? If so, what kind of lawyer should I be looking for? Does anyone know how much this sort of thing usually costs? I'd appreciate any information and/or advice.

pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: is a lawyer helpful?

Postby pastasugo » 31 Jul 2007, 04:11

Your friend might be able to answer these questions.
Everyone I know has applied on their own.

misbris
Master
Master

Re: is a lawyer helpful?

Postby misbris » 31 Jul 2007, 14:33

I would imagine you need an immigration lawyer. I don't know where you live, but in New Jersey hiring a lawyer for any purpose is expensive. Hourly rates can be $200 to $400 an hour. If you are getting all your documents in order, you are doing the hard part. Only a suggestion, but why not go to the Consulate and find out how long the wait is first.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”