Has anyone actually received citizenship thru jus sanguinis?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bmohr

Has anyone actually received citizenship thru jus sanguinis?

Postby bmohr » 11 Aug 2007, 03:19

I've been looking through the forum and I hadn't found any posts from members that explicitly say they've received dual citizenship from Italy through jus sanguinis?

Are you out there? Can you tell you story about how it went?

Thanks! (And sorry if I've just missed the right posts!)

mler
Master
Master

Re: Has anyone actually received citizenship thru jus sangui

Postby mler » 11 Aug 2007, 11:09

bmohr

Postby bmohr » 11 Aug 2007, 15:59

thanks mler.

let me apologize beforehand if i seem stubborn here. (i know i'm only a newbie! :) it seems that, at least at the surface, i do qualify for italian citizenship via jus sanguinis. i hope you all can empathize with me as i try to discern if all of this work and money will really pan out in the end for dual italian citizenship.

i see a lot of posts about the difficulty in gathering records and meeting with the italian consulate, and i did see one story posted both on www.myitaliancitizenship.com (thank you mler!) and this forum. but only one. another satisfied customer of myitaliancitizenship.com seemed to allude to getting his citizenship. but that's it.

it could be that once you get it, you're not visiting italiangenealogy.com much anymore, because the worry is over.

but i would greatly appreciate any personal stories or links to them of people who have actually gone through the process and come out with dual italian citizenship through jus sanguinis.

again, thanks for your help!

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 11 Aug 2007, 16:42

I tend to think of this forum as one focused more on genealogy, although we get many questions about the jure sanguinis process. Check the italylink site again. I believe there is a thread about specific experiences at the consulates. Why not start your own thread there and ask.

I do know that several people on both sites have obtained citizenship, some quite quickly. For most, however, the process is lengthy and time consuming. The upside is that it is a great way to learn more about your family history.

My son did apply in NY last year. It took about six months to put all the documents and apostilles together. He applied at the consulate last August (final documents submitted in September). They were reviewed and pronounced "ok" by the official. There is, however, a large backup of applications, and I think a wait period of about two years after application is realistic.

bmohr

Postby bmohr » 11 Aug 2007, 17:05

thanks again mler! that's great information.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”