Jure sanguinis in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
buzzinrizza

Jure sanguinis in Italy

Postby buzzinrizza » 29 Aug 2007, 10:22

Maybe someone can give me a bit of advise. I am a American in Italy trying to obtain dual citizenship. All of my documents seem to be in order except a few. The official here says they need the naturalization certificate translated and apostilled too. Not a huge problem. They also won't accept the forms printed from the consulate website filled out by me and my father declaring that we have never renounced citizenship in front of any official. It seems as these are not "offical enough", my father's is even notarized by a vice consulate in Phoenix. The problem is that I am not sure how to obtain something more official than these. I am in a very small town called Arcidosso in Toscana and I also noticed that the book of circolari they refer to is from 1991. I have had to convince them to let me apply for residency and that there is actually a way for me to stay here legally but I have hit a bit of a roadblock with the decleration documents. If anyone has any info regarding any of this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Jure sanguinis in Italy

Postby BillieDeKid » 30 Aug 2007, 04:01

Hi Buzz -

I'm no expert but if you go to this link you should be able to contact them, fill out a form and have them send you an official letter stating that there are no naturalization papers for your father or you. I would think if it's coming from our (USA) government agency that would be sufficient for what you need. At least you can contact them, tell them what the Italian authorities are requiring and see if they can help.

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/naturalization/

Hope this helps, wouldn't hurt to try it. Maybe one of the experts on the site will be able to give you the proper procedure for you to follow.

Good luck.

Elizabeth

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”