baptism certificates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

baptism certificates

Postby belmoro19 » 06 Sep 2007, 14:19

can annyone tell me if baptismal certificate will suffice as proof of lineage.i cannot fing my great grandfather's marriage certificate but i have my grandfather's (his son) baptism certificate and birth certificate.both show parent's information.i have everything else so i hope the consulate will except this.does anybody know.any info will be appreciated.

Re: baptism certificates

Postby suanj » 06 Sep 2007, 15:07

If your ancestor was born in Italy:

the baptism certificate are accepted from Consulate only for a birth of year when the civil record's registries in a Italian Common was no started in the birthyear of ancestor..
for exemple:

-normally, in the Italy north towns the civil records registries starting from 1871, so if your ancestor was born in 1868, the baptism act is enough and helpful; viceversa if your ancestor was born in or after 1871, it is necessary the birth act by civil records office and no the church baptism act... similar story if you can proof that your ancestor born in or after the 1871, but the right recistry in the civil records office is destroyed by frie or bombing etc.. well in this case also the baptism act can be helpful...

-same thing for the Italy south, where, normally, the civil records registries starting from 1809 abt...

if your ancestor was born in USA.... I don't know...
regards, suanj
Visit my website:

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”