I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguinis.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Abruzzi17

I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguinis.

Postby Abruzzi17 » 08 Sep 2007, 16:18

So...I'm really confused. I'll start by listing my genealogy.

Great Grandfather (maternal) born c. 1980 in Italy {Don't think he was ever naturlized before grandmother's birth or at all *not sure*}
Great Grandmother (maternal) c. 1894 but in U.S.
Grandmother(maternal) born 1914 in U.S.
Grandfather(maternal) born 1918 in Italy {may have become naturalized before my mother's birth *not sure* Is serving in a World War an indication?}
Mother born December of 1948
Myself born 1988.

As you can see my family has great gaps inbetween having children. My mother being 40 when she gave birth to me and my grandmother being around 34 when she had my mother. I beleive my mother can obtain citizenship through my great-grandfather; however, am I out of luck? Or can my grandmother pass citizenship to me the same as my mother? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

mler
Master
Master

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Postby mler » 08 Sep 2007, 16:41

It works for you IF your great grandfather did not naturalize OR naturalized after your grandmother was born.

If your greatgrandfather was still Italian when your grandmother was born, he passed this citizenship to her.

Because your mother was born in 1948, her mother (your grandmother) could pass that citizenship to her.

Then your mom passed citizenship to you.

The line is:

Greatgrandfather
Grandmother
Mother
You

You and your mom can apply together or can apply separately. It works either way.

However, you must determine the naturalization status of your greatgrandfather. Try a preliminary search at www.ancestry.com You can get a free trial membership or check with your local library. Many have access to that site. You may also want to ask for help on the genealogy forum on this site.

Abruzzi17

Postby Abruzzi17 » 08 Sep 2007, 16:57

See I have searched for my great-grandfather (maternal) and I can't find anything. I might misspell his first name Fiorino. However, I have searched Parco & Porco because there was a name change because Porco implied pig, ;) I can find my grandfather (maternal), Michele Bartoletti.

My grandfather is listed in the Ellis Island docs. But since I can't find my great-grandfather is that an indication that he could have been an illegal alien this entire time? My grandfather has a SSN, I can't find my great-grandfather's SSN in the death records. Also, does one have to be naturalized to receive Social Security and/or serve in the military?

Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cathynap » 08 Sep 2007, 17:37

I have seen similar male names to Fiorino. My grandfather had a cousin who was known by Fiore but I found his birth act and the official name was Florindo. Ellis Island transcribers have mis-spelled many last names. If you know what town he came from you can search Ellis Island manifests by town on Steve Morris' site here: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html
Just enter the town name ONLY in the search criteria.

Abruzzi17

Postby Abruzzi17 » 08 Sep 2007, 18:10

Okay so I looked up everyone from the town, S. Nicola, and I found one Porco. A female, who could have possibly been his sister because he stayed with her when he came over but as for him no luck. I am starting to wonder more and more if he was illegal. If I can't prove how he came here and what not then what do I do?

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 08 Sep 2007, 18:33

The town is also misspelled in many manifests, so that is not necessarily an indication that no record exists. Your ggfather probably lived pre-SS, so he would not necessarily have a number. Why don't you post what info you have, including where in the US they lived, any maybe someone here can help?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 08 Sep 2007, 18:38

Sorry, repost.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 08 Sep 2007, 18:38

First of all, do you have access to his Italian birth certificate? That would be needed to demonstrate his Italian birth. If you don't think he naturalized, you would request naturalization records (or a statement of "no record") from the Dept. of Homeland Security through the Freedom of Information Act.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-639.pdf

You should also attempt to find marriage and death records for him. You really should post this in the Italian Genealogy section of this site. Some of the genealogical experts don't often check this section.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 08 Sep 2007, 18:42

Does the Michele Bartoletti line not work for you?

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 08 Sep 2007, 18:44

Abruzzi17 wrote:I am starting to wonder more and more if he was illegal.

Unlike today, it was hard to be an illegal immigrant then. There were many fewer ports of entry and much stricter controls. There were "birds of passage" as they were called, who spent a year or two in the US, went back to Italy, returned etc. Usually they did not naturalize--but they were not illegal.

I would say you just haven't found his records yet.

BTW, although my GF (born 1887) is not in the SSDI, he had an SSN. I found it on his death certificate. Not being in the SSDI does not mean that the person did not have an SSN. Not having an SSN does not mean that the person is not a US citizen. My GM was a citizen but (like many housewives of the time) did not have an SSN.

Good luck, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

Abruzzi17

Postby Abruzzi17 » 08 Sep 2007, 20:15

See I think my grandfather was naturalized and yes I know about the birds of passage. My great-grandfather(paternal) went back and for finally coming back with my grandfather. I am hoping to use my great-grandfather (maternal). I am getting pretty frustrated with the records. Did they come using other's places besides Ellis Island?

Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cathynap » 08 Sep 2007, 20:47

San Nicola? Which one - there are many San Nicola's in Italy. I am only asking because my grandfather's town had a San Nicola in Cosenza Province.
Many Italians also came in through Boston, New Orleans, Philadelphia and some even came in through Canada. All of these records are available on Ancestry. If you do not have a subscription, give as much information as you can and there are many here that excel at finding ship records. Perhaps someone can look for you there? I found a "F Porco" there but since I do not have a subscription, I cannot look at the manifest. Sorry.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 08 Sep 2007, 21:15

Here's the manifest for Filomena - line 15. Says she's going to stay with her uncle Porco Fiorino somewhere in PA (can't make out the name of town). Also gives her fathers name and says she was born in Carfissi. I'm assuming the uncle is the man you're interested in?

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2088050409

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 08 Sep 2007, 21:22

Is this the correct Fiorino Porco from S Nicola?
b abt 1884
destination Pittston, PA
joining a b-i-l

1906 manifest

Ellis Island transcription:
First Name: Fiotino Ant
Last Name: Poreo
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: S. Nicola flto
Date of Arrival: Nov 29, 1906
Age at Arrival: 22
Marital Status: S