US Passport files

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

US Passport files

Post by drovedo »

Someone asked me to post an explanation here. Would luv some feedback. Good or Evil or Correction. :P

Should one submit a US Passport Application to a Consulate for Info contained, which could be useful to Citizenship App?

I say no. Explanation: A US passport application contains an oath which must be taken by applicant and signed on app. I suspect this could be considered a renunciation by ancestor. (Pick up current app. at Post Office and look at the oath.) Even if the US passport was issued after birth of child, I think that that this could slow down app. process and be considered a complicated ius sanguinus application unnecessarily. A Slow track in a nut shell.

Also, as of 1960, all travelers to Italy from US had to carry passport and were required to report their presence in Italy to questura and also US consulate. If person stayed in hotel, hotel *seized* passport for duration of stay for the purpose of reporting presence to questura. That's what I read.
**see someone's correction on this below. I'll call it clarification. :P :oops: :roll:

Also read, that if one entered Italy on Foreign Passport that that could be considered a renunciation of Italian Citizenship by Italy.
Then, there is the possible issue of Ancestry.com rumored release of passport appl. online from 1795-1925. Note: US or British citizens were not required to carry passports by Italy as of 1899 and US govt. only required passport by US in early 1920's and then permanently after WWII.
Not related: For the duration of the WW1 (even though the US had not entered the war then), President Wilson in 1915, ordered that no aliens would be deported.

Please comment and correct if necessary!!!

Passport applications are accessible via FOIA requests for ($90) by family members only. You must submit valid US driver's license, birth cert, and or passport copy. This could be useful for genealogy, as they should contain social security number and other info. If you want to order copy of your own app, same process. Easy as pie, if you got the cash! 8)
misbris
Master
Master

Re: US Passport files

Post by misbris »

I have travelled to Italy many times starting about 1969. My passport was never confiscated by the hotel for the duration of the stay. One could not travel, exchange money, etc. without a passport.
What happened was the hotel took your passport when you checked in, and returned it the next morning. This gave them the time to register the tourist's information with whatever authority needed it. This same proceedure was followed in every European country I visited.
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by drovedo »

Better explanation. thanks.

I suppose that they reported your presense to local police (questura).

I guess I wonder if that is part of the reason why they can ask for questura reports for citizenship via marriage, naturalization.

I wonder if they could do that for ius sanguinus and other kinds of apps.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If the consulate wants a passport for citizenship verification purposes and you can provide it, I would guess it can only help. As far as I know, no one has been denied citizenship because an ascendent had a passport. I don't think the consulates consider this to be renunciation. They seem to be focused on naturalization.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If the consulate wants a passport for citizenship verification purposes and you can provide it, I would guess it can only help. As far as I know, no one has been denied citizenship because an ascendent had a passport. I don't think the consulates consider this to be renunciation. They seem to be focused on naturalization.