Does Intention and Petition = Naturalization?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
fotomatique

Does Intention and Petition = Naturalization?

Postby fotomatique » 21 Oct 2007, 21:36

Does Intention and Petition = Naturalization? I am assuming that the document I need is the Certificate of Naturalization, but I unsure if I get that from NARA, the NY Courts or USCIS.

I am trying to attempt linkage to my grandfather who was born in Italy in 1902 on on my mother's side.

He came to the US with his father in 1908, was an alien in the 1920 census and filed for Intention and Petition in 1927. My grandmother non-Italian and grandfather were common law married, stated on my grandmothers death certificate. My mother was born in 1949 and was adopted upon my grandmothers death in 1952.

To qualify for Italian citizenship, would the following work?

1.)Certificate of Naturalization dated after my mothers birth or None Found.

2.) Grandfathers Birth Certificate (Italian) and Death Certificate (USA).

3.) Grandmothers Death Certificate which states common law marriage.

4.) My Mother's original Birth Certificate as well as adoptive.

5.) My Mother and Father's marriage Certificate.

6.) My Birth Certificate.

Thanks,
Christopher

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Does Intention and Petition = Naturalization?

Postby misbris » 21 Oct 2007, 22:45

Is this your Louis?

Mazzola Louis 24 86062 01/03/1927 1903

If so check out this link

http://www.italiangen.org/southernresul ... nter=exact

Hope it helps.

Mary Jo

fotomatique

Postby fotomatique » 21 Oct 2007, 23:18

Yes that is correct.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 22 Oct 2007, 03:02

NO!

Intention is Not naturalization. Lots and lots of people didn't go before the judge and take the oath five years after their intention. They were never citizens. Godd news for you!

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 22 Oct 2007, 15:09

fotomatique wrote:My mother was born in 1949 and was adopted upon my grandmothers death in 1952.

Hi Christopher--

You need to check with the Consulate. Even if your mother was qualified when she was born, she might have lost her right to Italian citizenship when she was adopted if the adoptive parents do not qualify.

Was it a legal adoption (through the courts) or a more informal arrangment? That might also make a difference.

Good luck, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

fotomatique

Postby fotomatique » 23 Oct 2007, 04:48

Thanks. It was an official State of California adoption. I sent the San Francisco Consulate an email about adoption.

Do I need to then contact USCIS about if a Certificate of Naturalization exists with a G-639 form?

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 23 Oct 2007, 17:11

fotomatique wrote:Do I need to then contact USCIS about if a Certificate of Naturalization exists with a G-639 form?
It can't hurt to get started on that since it can take many months for USCIS to respond.

It it were me, I would start first with Superior Court of New York County since that is where GF naturalized--according to the index card you posted. They might be able to send you the records. Or try NARA. You can order naturaization records online and I think you have enough information to be successful with an online request. Petition does not equal naturalization, but most likely GF did naturalize. If NARA sends you an Oath, then GF naturalized. Date of oath is date of naturalization. NARA does not keep the certificates of naturalization. USCIS does.

But I am uncertain as to whether you qualify--because of your mother's adoption. I'm not saying you do not--I just do not know. Good luck, Peggy M

fotomatique

Postby fotomatique » 24 Oct 2007, 03:10

The response that I got is that it could, if she acquired a different citizenship as a result of her adoption.

When she was adopted I think it was with the assumption that my gf was a US Citizen. How ever my mother was and her siblings were wards of the state of california for a short time.

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 24 Oct 2007, 11:35

Dear fotomatique--

Re adoption: Your case is outside my knowledge. I wish I could help but I can't. I'm sorry. You might try this forum: http://www.icgsmb.com/board/ if you haven't already.

Re naturalization: Try to get the papers--you never know what you'll find! Good luck and keep us posted! All the best, Peggy M

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”