naturalization...1929 renouncing italian citz to be US citz?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ginaingenoa

naturalization...1929 renouncing italian citz to be US citz?

Postby ginaingenoa » 28 Oct 2007, 02:40

I am in the last stages of required paperwork to become Ital citz via my nonno. Could be a snag-

need to learn if my nonno ever "renounced his italian citizenship" in order to become an american citizen[/b]. I have his italian identity card, proof returning to italy to perform his military service for italy 1929- but my father was born in 1937. I'm in the clear if he was still an Italian citz when my father was born, or as I have learned, ever "renounced" following my father's birth.

How do I discover this? And how can I learn more about the US requirements for becoming US citz during this period in California-1929-1930. From what I "think" I know-immigration is one thing, naturalization another, and third there is this renouncing idea-or is this a part of the naturalization process?

Can someone help direct me to data resources, or possibly give the the "più o meno" idea of this process? I think he died a US citz, in 1972. But what is critical to know is what happened before my fathers birth-1937. I know my nonno spoke few words of english, and likely none in the early years. He had little money, and worked in the garbage business. Certainly he was not keen on the administration associated with his new life in america.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. My own citizenship quest lies in this very question.

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: naturalization...1929 renouncing italian citz to be US c

Postby peggymckee » 28 Oct 2007, 23:49

ginaingenoa wrote:From what I "think" I know-immigration is one thing, naturalization another, and third there is this renouncing idea-or is this a part of the naturalization process?
When someone naturalizes (i.e. becomes a US citizen) part of the oath states that they renounce their previous citizenship.

If you GF naturalized after your parent was born (& the parent was born in the US), no problem. Since you say that you are pretty sure GF did eventually naturalize, try ancestry.com to find out when/where. Most libraries have a subscription, if the 3 day free trial doesn't work for you.

Good luck. Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: naturalization...1929 renouncing italian citz to be US c

Postby nuccia » 29 Oct 2007, 06:51

Peggy is correct that in order to become an American citizen, one had to renounce his Italian Citizenship ... There have been some cases, though where Italians have returned back to the home country and voted and therefore never really renounced their Citizenship to the Italian Government. This has happened in my family. My grandmother was American born but returned to Italy. While there, she not only voted but married an Italian Citizen causing her to lose her American status.

There are always exceptions but find the documentation to support your claim..I think you should be ok.

If you need any help looking up records on ancestry just ask. Lots of members here already have a subscription.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”