Birth Certificate Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dalessan

Birth Certificate Italy

Postby dalessan » 10 Nov 2007, 16:58

Hello,

I have found the place of birth and date for my Italian great grandfather, and I have also found the state archive for his comune. But, I emailed them and have received no correspondence. I do not speak Italian so I cannot call, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

John

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Birth Certificate Italy

Postby ricbru » 10 Nov 2007, 21:43

John,
I suggest you to write a regular letter, send it via regular mail, add a self addressed envelope plus a couple of international reply coupon (so they will reply with no costs from their pocket!!) and write only in italian.
Let us know
bye Riccardo

dalessan

Postby dalessan » 10 Nov 2007, 23:55

Thanks for the reply, and that sounds like a good idea. The only thing I am worried about is the fact that I have heard stories that they may just "forget" about the request for a number of reasons. It is in the state of Campobasso, do you know anything about their archives (response time, management, etc). Thanks a lot again,

JOhn

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 11 Nov 2007, 13:41

Dear John,
in Italy there is a law that says that the request arriving in any government office has a "state file number" (track number).
So in your case, your request gets the number, than a person in charge make a research for you (your request must be written in italian with all the informations you have, the most detailed ones).
Usually the government office must reply you within 60 days.
Sometimes they take more time, but usually they always reply.
Since we don't know if the archive has the money for envelope and stamp to reply, it is better you provide for them.
If you have not italian stamp, at least send them an international reply coupon.
I hope it helps
Good luck
bye Riccardo

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 13 Nov 2007, 15:10

Try to write with the form letters in www.circolocalabrese.org Click on resources. There is a letter generator in Italian.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 22 Nov 2007, 02:31

I have found they reply quickly ( 4-6 weeks). Unless you are writting to the wrong town. Ah then may not anser...

Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Gildone » 29 Nov 2007, 23:08

dalessan wrote:Thanks for the reply, and that sounds like a good idea. The only thing I am worried about is the fact that I have heard stories that they may just "forget" about the request for a number of reasons. It is in the state of Campobasso, do you know anything about their archives (response time, management, etc). Thanks a lot again,

JOhn

I requested copies of my great grandfather's birth cert from the Archivio di Stato di Campobasso. As I recall, it only took a couple of months.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”