Almost ready....What's the first official step?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
laura83

Almost ready....What's the first official step?

Postby laura83 » 03 Dec 2007, 06:21

Ok, so I really want my citizenship; my grandparents were the ones who immigrated so my relationship goes grandparents - mother (b 1953 in Canada) - me

I live in Toronto Canada if it makes any difference.

I have the following documents:

My long form birth certificate (lists parents names)
Long form birth certificates for both of my parents
Grandparents birth certificates from Italy
Marriage certificates for both Parents and Grandparents (latter from Italy)

My Nonna thinks she has the documents stating when they became Canadian citizens, I know this was well after my mother was born. I'll look for it at Christmas, otherwise I have the forms from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to get that info.

So... what now?

Is there anything I'm missing? do I need a consular appointment? how do I get one? Generally where do I go from here?

Also, what's the processing time one these? I know its likely really long, but I'm just curious...

gmontanaro

Re: Almost ready....What's the first official step?

Postby gmontanaro » 18 Dec 2007, 17:55

The requirements and the wait time vary greatly from consulate to consulate. I have no idea if there are additional requirements for a Canadian application, but in New York, you would need all of these documents apostilled and translated into Italian.

I would call the consulate in Toronto (which is where you'll be applying) and ask them what the wait time is. If it is a long time, you may want to try and time it, but it is best to go in with all the documents perfectly prepared. That includes any official corrections that need to be made.

Give two to three weeks for the apostille to be sent. And get the translation done professionally.
cognomi: Marchegiani, DeAngelis

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”