italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

italian citizenship

Postby ChrisMosca » 17 Dec 2007, 06:07

I just found out that my Grandfather who was born in treia, Italy but moved to argentina never did become argentine citizen, i'm waiting for his birth certificate coming from italy. What other records do I need? do I need his death certificate? My father was born in argentina, and I was born in the united states. do I need certificates of my dad and me as well, and do I need any marriage certificates also? this is all from my paternal line.
thanks for the help.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

Re: italian citizenship

Postby gmontanaro » 18 Dec 2007, 15:09

Here are some required documents from the consulate website of NY ( ... tadinanza/)

- your grandfather’s birth certificate;
- your grandfather's marriage certificate;
- your grandfather's death certificate, if it applies;
- your father’s birth certificate;
- your parents’ marriage certificate;
- your birth certificate;
- your grandfather’s naturalization certificate or a letter from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service stating that he was naturalized AFTER your father's birth or your grandfather’s Italian passport and his Alien Registration Card.
The last item I am unsure of. Being that your Grandfather emigrated to Argentina rather that the US. Where was your Father born?

Also, you will need to get the exemplified (long-form) copies of all these documents along with an apostille (the international equivalent of a notary). And depending on which consulate you go to, you'll have to have some or all of them translated into Italian.

Good luck!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”