Passport authorization from an Ex spouse...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gmontanaro

Passport authorization from an Ex spouse...

Postby gmontanaro » 18 Dec 2007, 16:13

I received my citizenship recently. I am divorced and have two daughters from the marriage (ages 8 and 5). Apparently, I need authorization from my ex to get passports for myself and/or them. On the form, there are three different authorizations choices:

1. authorize issuance of parent's passport
2. authorize inclusion of minors on parent's passport
3. authorize issuance of passports to minors

My ex may be reluctant to allow our daughters to get passports for themselves. Does #1 mean that she would be authorizing me to get a passport for just myself? Can I get a passport for my daughters at any date in the future?

Does anyone have experience with this? If so, please help.
THANKS!!!

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Re: Passport authorization from an Ex spouse...

Postby peggymckee » 18 Dec 2007, 18:09

Did your daughters receive Italian citizenship when you did? All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

gmontanaro

Postby gmontanaro » 18 Dec 2007, 18:16

Yes. I received three letters. One for me and the other two for them. :-D
cognomi: Marchegiani, DeAngelis

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 18 Dec 2007, 18:21

I remember your post from last summer. Did you need your ex-wife's permission to get dual citizenship for your kids? All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

gmontanaro

Postby gmontanaro » 18 Dec 2007, 18:39

Yeah... I remember I was a little concerned about that. ;-)

At my appointment, the guy I was meeting with set me straight. I was absolutely allowed to have my citizenship recognized... and in so doing, my daughters did too. There was nothing that my ex could do about it.

Where the issue with an ex comes in is just getting the passport. I can get one for myself; can put the kids on mine; or can get a passport for all three of us. She will need to sign and notarize a document saying she authorizes this to happen.
The reason for this, I was told, was that Italy wants to be sure that I'm not skipping out on things like child support, maintenance, etc.

The good news is that even if an ex decides to say no, you can still appeal. If the ex is saying no for no good reason (like she/he is still angry) then the consulate officer can overrule that denial.

That is clearly something to avoid if possible, but it's good to know that it's an option.

In my case, I think my ex doesn't want our daughters to have passports (I still don't know why), but it's fine for me to have one.
cognomi: Marchegiani, DeAngelis

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”