Can you change a BC?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie

Can you change a BC?

Postby Luca722 » 31 Dec 2007, 21:19

Hi all,

I will apply for IDC through the paternal line all the way to my GGF.
I just obtained my grandfather's (his son's) birth certificate from Mansfield, MA. The surname for him and father is spelled wrong. Also, the wife/mother's name and surname are spelled wrong.

I was told you cannot change information on a BC, especially when it dates all the way back to 1911.

Is this true? Also, since I'm applying from my GGF and his BC is correct, would this even matter?

Thanks,
Luca

mler
Master
Master

Re: Can you change a BC?

Postby mler » 01 Jan 2008, 15:13

Difficult to answer your question since it very much depends on the consulate. It also depends on the error. Is it a simple transposition of letters? an "e" replaced by an "i"? an apostrophe omitted? a double consonant where there should be a single one? These simple transcription errors are likely to pass muster, but, as I noted earlier, only the consulate can make that determination.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 12 Jan 2008, 14:50

I helped someone with a similar problem and we had the town office (in Italy) make a written declaration that the two documents referred to the same person. Do you have any church or other documents with the right spelling?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Gildone » 13 Jan 2008, 21:05

Whether or not you can change a birth record depends upon the state. Who told you you could not change your grandfather's birth certificate? Most states allow such things to be changed with a court order. You just need proof of the error-- for example, a marriage record, death record, school record, baptismal record, etc.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”