LaBarbera, D'Amato, Tarantella Immigration

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

LaBarbera, D'Amato, Tarantella Immigration

Postby johnlabarbera » 11 Jan 2008, 15:50

I am trying to determine if and when my great uncles and aunts immigrated to the USA. So far, I have circumstantial evidence but no real evidence. Here is what I know:

The parents of the subject relatives, and my great great grandparents, are Giovanni LaBarbera and Sebastiani Gargano. They remained in Sicily and so far it appears they were from Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily. However I plan to search microfilm in the next month to try and nail this down via Bagheria civil records. I have also sent a letter to Bagheria Civil Records requesting info on Giovanni's family information.

Giovanni's children are:
Agnes (maybe married L Tarantella)
Anthony/Antonio (maybe settled in Springfield, Il)
Tom/Gaetano maried Josephine Gentile (my great grandfather, New Orleans, LA)
Giuseppa or Giuseppina/Josephine married Giuseppe D'Amato
Giovanni/John LaBarbera

Based on newspaper articles posted in the LaBarbera from Palermo discussion, it appears John settled in the Chicago, Il area and was about 4 years younger than Gaetano. It appears Anthony was about 1 year older than Gaetano looking at passenger list records, not sure. It appears Gaetano's birth year is 1877 but we have a variety of years from different sources.

So I am looking for any information that will verify which of Gaetano's siblings actually immigrated and to where. I know John immigrated, I think Anthony and Josephine immigrated, I am not sure at all about Agnes.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”