Conflicting requirements re: date of naturalization?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mfiorenza

Conflicting requirements re: date of naturalization?

Postby mfiorenza » 31 Jan 2008, 18:41

I have been pursuing gathering all of my documents for applying for dual citizenship through jure sanguinis (Italian-US). I felt I had everything I needed, but I've read some conflicting information on these posts regarding the date when an ancestor was naturalized. Here is my personal info:

My great-grandfather (b 1882) emigrated from Italy in 1907. He had my grandfather in 1924. The great-grandfather was naturalized in 1939. My grandfather never renounced his right to Italian citizenship. The grandfather had my mother in 1946. My mother had me in 1970. So, the chain for me is GGF-->GF-->M-->Me!

I have read conflicting statements in posts where minor children ARE or ARE NOT considered naturalized along with their parent. What I believed to be true was that when a person was naturalized AFTER their child was born, their child was still considered an Italian citizen.

Any advice would be appreciated! Many thanks!

davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Conflicting requirements re: date of naturalization?

Postby davidlatour » 31 Jan 2008, 19:12

I was under the impression that minor children ARE NOT considered naturalized.
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 01 Feb 2008, 03:18

mfiorenza wrote:when a person was naturalized AFTER their child was born, their child was still considered an Italian citizen.
Yes, if the child was born in the US (or some other jus soli country) but not otherwise.

Here is an example. My father's older brother was born in Italy in 1909. His father, my grandfather, came to the US in 1914, along with my GM and my father's brother. My GF naturalized in 1923. Because my father's brother was not a US citizen by birth and a minor when my GF naturalized, he (my father's brother) was naturalized along with my GF.

In contrast, my father was born in the US in 1916. So he was not naturalized in 1923 (when his father naturalized) because he (my father) was already a US citizen birth.

So in both cases, the naturalization of the parent occured **after** the birth of the child--but my father's brother lost his Italian citizenship whereas my father did not. The difference is where each was born and citizenship conferred thereby.

All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 01 Feb 2008, 04:07

Peggy is correct, as long as the child was born in the USA before his father/mother was naturalized, then he/she is eligible to become a citizen via Juris Sanguinis. If the child was born in Italy things would be quite different,

It seems to me you have a very strong claim.

Jim

mfiorenza

Postby mfiorenza » 01 Feb 2008, 14:51

Ah-hah! That is very interesting! Thank you so much for clearing things up.

My GF was born in the US in 1924. My GGF naturalized in the US in 1939. It would seem, then, that I am on the right track!

The last things I need to accomplish, before making my appointment are the FOIA request, translations, and some straightening out of quite a few name changes! (Fiorenza became France!?) I will post when I get further along!

Again, many thanks!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”