Help? Dual Citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
CinziaB59

Help? Dual Citizenship?

Postby CinziaB59 » 06 Feb 2008, 13:17

Please help. I am an Italian born adoptee living in the US. Adopted by Italian family but naturalized at 3 yrs old in US. My birth parents were both Italian citizens and my adopted maternal grandmother and grandfather both Italian citizens. Do I still retain dual citizenship and if not I need help on where to begin to regain my citizenship. If I do, what documents would I need to prove dual citizenship?

Any help is so appreciated! :D

mler
Master
Master

Re: Help? Dual Citizenship?

Postby mler » 06 Feb 2008, 13:24

You are not a dual citizen now, having lost Italian citizenship through naturalization; but you can reacquire it by residing in Italy for one year. Go to your local consulate to get specific details and forms. Your Italian birth certificate, naturalization papers and a photo ID should be all the documentation you need.

CinziaB59

Postby CinziaB59 » 07 Feb 2008, 00:30

Thanks, I appreciate the response. It just doesn't seem fair since it wasn't my choice at 3 years old.

Thank you!

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 07 Feb 2008, 01:35

Unfortunately, when we're children we are subject to the decisions made by our parents on our behalf. Try to think of it this way: If your parents had not naturalized for you, the odds are you would have done so yourself when you reached 18 even if it meant losing Italian citizenship. Remember when your parents naturalized, dual citizenship was not an option.

On the upside, your path to citizenship is fairly easy. Think of the many jure sanguinis applicants who wait months for appointments and years for admittance. You need one year in Italy--not so bad, I think. :-)

Best of luck.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”