Italian Citezenship for argentinian

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
besly98

Italian Citezenship for argentinian

Postby besly98 » 26 Feb 2008, 16:36

Hi there,

My g/f is currently in Italy applying for a passport as her grandfather is Italian. she has been told to go to the town where he lived (where she is now) and then go to the commune, to apply for this. no one can give us a straight answer to roughly how long this will take, but people have said that it is the quickest way. does anyone know if this is likely to be the quickest way, and roughly how long it should take. she already has all the paper translated into Italian.

all responses are appreciated.

mler
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citezenship for argentinian

Postby mler » 28 Feb 2008, 00:33

I have read on a number of forums that applying is South America is a rather lengthy process, but unfortunately there is no way to determine the length of time in Italy. It very much depends on the comune. It can be weeks or months. I would suspect, however, that the wait time will be considerably less than the wait time in Argentina.

You say that your girlfriend's grandfather is Italian. I assume that there has been no break in the Italian line since she would have to qualify through a parent--not a grandparent.

BTW, if she has any relatives still living in the comune, they may be able to help her.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 28 Feb 2008, 00:34

Sorry a repeat post.

besly98

Postby besly98 » 28 Feb 2008, 09:22

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortanutly there is a break in the chain, as her parents are both argentinian nationals and dont have italian citezenship.

They are now saying that because she came to italy and spent a week looking round venice and rome, then went to the comune, that she might have to go out of the country and come back in! is that right do you know?

her grandparents are dead, but she has gone to the exact comune where they lived, so they will have all the documents. this i hear is the quickest way.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 28 Feb 2008, 13:53

Even if both her parents are Argentinean nationals, she may still be eligible. Did they obtain Argentinean citizenship by birth or through naturalization?

If the parent (the child of the Italian grandfather) was born in Argentina when your gf's grandfather was still Italian, your gf would still qualify. She would also qualify if the parent naturalized as an Argentinean after her birth.

If the parent lost Italian citizenship through naturalization before your gf's birth, she cannot qualify jure sanguinis but would be able to naturalize by residing in Italy for three years. She has a lot of homework to do and several documents to obtain (both grandparent and parent).

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”