children on the SS Calcutta in 1857 to Boston

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

children on the SS Calcutta in 1857 to Boston

Postby Elaine Shuman » 27 Jun 2003, 15:06

While searching for my great grandfather, Sylvestro FILAMONDO on the Passenger lists to Boston (1820-1891) I found lots of young children on the ship SS Calcutta arriving on Aug 6 1857. The children are mostly young, under 5 with the last name FIGLIO, several Rosa's, age 2. Does anyone know why there were so many children with the last name on this particular ship? They also had different Last Residences.

BTW, I didn't find my great grandfather.

thanks
Elaine
Elaine Shuman

Re: children on the SS Calcutta in 1857 to Boston

Postby suanj » 02 Jul 2003, 11:59

Elaine Shuman wrote:While searching for my great grandfather, Sylvestro FILAMONDO on the Passenger lists to Boston (1820-1891) I found lots of young children on the ship SS Calcutta arriving on Aug 6 1857. The children are mostly young, under 5 with the last name FIGLIO, several Rosa's, age 2. Does anyone know why there were so many children with the last name on this particular ship? They also had different Last Residences.

BTW, I didn't find my great grandfather.

thanks
Elaine

Hi Elaine:..FIGLIO means son ....FIGLIO not is last name or first name(means son of the traveller) the various place of residence can mean instead where the sons are born, if the head of the family has had various residences in the years, that is moved themselves frequently :roll: regards,suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship