Italian Citizenship research

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tdeq

Italian Citizenship research

Postby tdeq » 21 Apr 2008, 08:12

Hi all.

I'm Tanya Dequcinis. I'm trying to apply for Italian citizenship (in South Africa). My grandfather, Antonio De Cocinis was born in San Mauro la Bruca - I don't know his birth date but the village is so tiny it hopefully isn't hard to find. He was captured in North Africa during WW2 and taking to a POW camp in South Africa. When he was released at the end of the war, he registered at the South African government and they sent his ID book back as Dequcinis and it was never changed.

My family and I are now looking to get dual citizenship but don't know where to start. I believe my father might have my grandfather's ID card from Italy - I'm waiting to receive it. I've been told to contact his municipality to request a birth certificate but can't find an address to begin with. San Mauro la Bruca falls under Salerno in Campania.

Please could someone give me advice.

Thanks
Tanya

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citizenship research

Postby misbris » 21 Apr 2008, 14:33

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Here is some info on San Mauro. It really is tiny!!!! 299 families. I'll bet if you write or call the mayor you will be able to get information.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/065/124/index.html

Here are names of De Cocinis still living there.
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&td=2

tdeq

Re: Italian Citizenship research

Postby tdeq » 13 May 2008, 07:28

Thanks for the info - I'm sure it will come in handy.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”