Help please, do I need new certified copies?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Help please, do I need new certified copies?

Postby gennattasio » 11 May 2008, 03:34

I have all the certified copies of everyone's death, birth and marriage records from New York that I need to acquire dual cit. However, they are all a minimum of 13 yrs old. Does that mean I need to get all new copies? I read somewhere they cannot be more than 2 years old.
Does the apostille have to be from the state the docs came from or can I have that done in CA where I live?

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help please, do I need new certified copies?

Postby VaDeb » 11 May 2008, 17:06

Hi,

Here is some information from NY regarding apostille. An apostille is a certification from the state that is authenticating the document. Only NY can apostille a document from NY. I would call NY and check about how old a document can be and still be apostilled. I know I have read the 2 year limit somewhere, but did not see it on the site provided.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corp/apostile.htm

Debbie

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 13 May 2008, 14:10

Without question, you will need to send for new documents, but the good news is that all of this (including apostilles) can be done by mail.

If you need an apostille for NYC documents, the apostille requires a two-step process--notarization by the County Clerk and then apostille by the state.

gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Postby gennattasio » 13 May 2008, 15:07

Thanks for the input. I suppose I should wait for the naturalization records, since those are taking the longest, before I begin getting these records.

federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Postby federici1999 » 13 May 2008, 22:44

You will have to get new certificates. They must be in long form and you need a Letter of Exemplification to be attached to the documents by the City of New York, The documents then have to be mailed to the clerk of the county court , I believe off hand the fee is 9.00 dollars per document to be stamped, they are then returned to you and you need to mail them to The Secertary of State office in Manhattan to be Apostitled there is a 3.00 dollar fee for each document. You will need forms for the city of New York to request the documents needed. One form for each document and a $15.00 fee per document. The good part is you can make a copy of the documents you have so they can find them easily. They also require photo ID and another ID verifing your address. It list what is needed on the back of the forms. If the person you need the naturalization papers had it done in the NewYork region you can contact the Eastern archive and they can have the documents to you in one week certified. I have in my posession 2 death certificate forms and 8 Birth certificate forms from the City of New York I just went through this I also hve the e-mail address on the person in charge of the archive. E-mail me with an address and I will mail you the form this week so you can get started.
Bob Federici
Thanks Bob

Looking for Federici and Cavalli from Bedonia

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 16 May 2008, 13:27

And do get started now. New York is sometimes slow (especially the City). You can get all these documents and apostilles, and then put them aside for when you need them. When you do get those naturalization records, you want to be ready. Besides, it's a good feeling when you see your folder of records beginning to be complete. :)

gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Postby gennattasio » 16 May 2008, 14:44

You're right, I've started sending for everything. Just curious, does anyone know what the time limit really is on how old the certified copies can be?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”