12 months? is USCIS my ONLY option?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ecoday

12 months? is USCIS my ONLY option?

Postby ecoday » 30 May 2008, 01:25

hi-
i have started the dual citizenship process, wrote to every place for every document i could think of....spent 12 hours in DC at the National Archives and was told that his name was not in the "index" and i needed to write to USCIS for my grandfathers "naturalization records" OR "no records found". so....i did write and this is part of the response i got back:

Please understand that it takes our office approximately 12 months to process a case as we are inundated daily with requests. We are working fervently to rectify our backlog issue.

12 months? and after waiting 12 months are they going to send me the "no records found" documentation? or will i then have to wait ANOTHER 12 months?
it only took 8 weeks to get his birth cert from Italy but it's going to take 12 months for them to look up his name for his naturalization record? ermmm is this 2008? or 1908? i can understand if i had NO information on my grandfather, but i have all dates/places/names/etc.

grrrrr, is going through the USCIS my ONLY option? does anyone know of any other way to get the naturalization information?

thank you
day

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: 12 months? is USCIS my ONLY option?

Postby VaDeb » 30 May 2008, 02:09

Hi Ecoday,

You can do some detective work. If you ancestor did naturalize, that record was created in a court. Depending on the year it could by a county court, state or federal. If you can determine the court, you then can contact that court and find out where they archive records from that time period and the process to access the records. Sometimes contacting the local historical society will help, as they may have naturalization indexes for local courts and many have not published their indexes.

I recommend the book "They Became Americans - Finding Naturalization Records and Ethnic Origins" by Loretto Szucs. The book has many resources listed and helps you work through the process I briefly described above.

If you ancestor did not naturalize (and it was after 1906) USCIS has copies of all naturalizations and will provide the "official" no record of naturalization.

Good luck with your search.

Debbie

ecoday

Postby ecoday » 30 May 2008, 12:22

Thank you very much for the reply.

His name was not in the "index" at the National Archives and the CT Courts had no record of him, so i guess everything is pointing to that he did not naturalize. He did not come to the USA until 1909.

It looks like the USCIS is my only resource....my fear is that after waiting a year for them to get back to me it will be another year for me to get the "official" no record of naturalization paperwork.

Once again, thank you for your help.
Day
"Whatever befalls the Earth, befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We
did not weave the web of life, we are merely a strand in it."

1792, Chief Seattle (Seatlh) Suquamish Chief

JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJOC1414 » 30 May 2008, 14:20

ecoday,

I have a story that I hope will help you. The same thing happened to me only six weeks ago, and I felt exactly as you feel (depressed to say the least), but I found another solution and was fortunate to receive the naturalization papers in only three weeks (and that includes probably a week in the notoriously slow Italian postal system). From what I gather, you tried the national NARA and the local CT courts, but not the regional office of the NARA. That was the solution for me.

If you prefer not to waste time reading the story, you simply need to send your request to the Northeast Region, Boston, which serves CT, ME, MA, NH, RI and VT. The contact info is:

Frederick C. Murphy Federal Center
380 Trapelo Road
Waltham, Massachusetts
02452-6399

Phone: (781) 663-0130
Fax: (781) 663-0154
waltham.archives@nara.gov

Here's the story in chronological order:

APR 13

I sent an e-mail to both the FOIA, USCIS office and the Essex County Clerks office requesting the naturalization papers for my maternal grandfather. Like you, I had all the information I needed and included all of it in my request.

APR 14

From FOIA, USCIS I received an e-mail with what must be the standard response:

"Please understand that this can take up to 12 months. Thanks for your patients." (sic)

At this point I thought, if anybody was going to be a patient, it was going to be me -- right in the manicomio (nut house)!!!

From the Newark County Clerk's office, I still haven't heard a word.

APR 16

Somehow I discovered that there is a regional Northeast office of NARA that serves NY, NJ, PR, and the US VI and I sent them precisely the same e-mail I had sent to the first two just three days earlier.

APR 17

I received this e-mail response from the New York regional office:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail to the National Archives and Records Administration, Northeast Region (New York Office). Our goal is to respond to your request within 10 working days after we receive your e-mail. Please note that if we receive your request over the weekend, we will process your request the next business day."

Wow, I'm thinking, I know the US is a big country but is it possible that, at the national office in Wash DC, the other 48 states -- OK, let's even through in Guam and American Samoa -- can take the other 355 days?

APR 30

I received the following e-mail from the New York regional office:

"It appears we have one record that is of interest to you:

[here followed precisely the information I was looking for]

You can also use the National Archives' Order Online! system. You will have to register and enter credit card information, and your card will be charged upon shipment. Please be sure to include the name of the court (U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, Newark) and petition # (xxxx). The web site is http://www.archives.gov/research/order/orderonline.html."

MAY 9

Naturalization papers arrived -- beautiful gold seal with red ribbon, a beautiful document -- and most important for me, it showed the date of naturalization occuring after my mother's birth.

Sorry for the somewhat long story. As I said, the moral is (if you haven't done so already, and it didn't sound as if you had), write the the Waltham address above.

Good luck!

ecoday

Postby ecoday » 30 May 2008, 14:31

oh my! your message just MADE MY DAY! hugs you a million times.
IS the best way for me to contact them through email?

Thank you so much for this info!

Day

JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJOC1414 » 30 May 2008, 15:05

Glad I could help!

No, if Waltham is anything like the NYC regional office, you shouldn't need to use snail mail at all. In my case, everything was accomplished by e-mail.

Now that I know the info was useful, I can fill in some blanks. Here is a list of the information I included in my e-mail. It might have been overkill, but I wasn't taking any chances! It sounds like you're equally armed with proof of family history, so I'd include whatever you have.

Immigrant's name:
Born:
Died:
SSN:
Place of birth: Sulmona, Italy
Departure date for USA: March 1, 1907
Arrival date in USA: March 15, 1907
Departure port: Naples, Italy
Arrival port: New York
Ship: S.S. Neckar
Residence at time of naturalization:
Father of subject:
Mother of subject:
Wife of suject:
Date of marriage:
Place of marriage:
Other family members living with subject in 1930:
Date of birth of my mother:

In addition, again not to take any chances that the request would be incomplete, I included attachments that proved my relationship to the subject: my ID showing with date of birth, my baptism certificate showing my mother's name, my mother's baptism certificate showing her parents' names, and the marriage certificate for her parents (the husband being my immigrant). I have no idea if all of this was necessary. All I know is that it worked without a hitch!

Again, best of luck and let us know how you make out

John

ecoday

Postby ecoday » 30 May 2008, 15:32

lol we must both be the equally determined people!
i emailed them as soon as i read your post and also sent everything i had.

fingers crossed, i hope, i hope, i HOPE, a human gets back to me.
i just lost my mother last week(she was 87) and i am trying very hard to get this done before i lose my father (who is thrilled about this btw). he phones me every day to see "how i'm making out"....every time i find something he starts telling me stories. i just WISH he could remember things like: his grandmother's name....or the year his parents married or even his own marriage YEAR to my mother! (his answer is, well we were married 27 yrs....ermmm, but I can't remember when we divorced....ermmm maybe 1978? 1979? 1980??)

it's been like doing a puzzle, trying to find the pieces.

i'll let you know how things turn out. and i hope it'll be good news...because if it is you'll hear me hootin' and hollerin' i'll be so happy.

thank you again
Day

federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Postby federici1999 » 30 May 2008, 20:44

Here is some more information on the Archive. Patrick is in charge.

Patrick Connelly

Archivist

The National Archives and Records Administration

Northeast Region

201 Varick Street , 12th Floor

New York , NY 10014

(866) 840-1752 newyork.archives@nara.gov
Thanks Bob

Looking for Federici and Cavalli from Bedonia

JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJOC1414 » 30 May 2008, 20:52

If I'm not mistaken, Day's grandfather had his naturalization in the state of CT. In this case he would want to direct his request to the regional NARA office in Waltham, MA rather than the one in NY.

ecoday

Postby ecoday » 30 May 2008, 21:36

you are NOT going to believe this but within an HOUR of me sending the email to the Waltham MA NARA office i got a PHONE call from one of the people that work there telling me he had FOUND my grandfather! and that it was a "petition" for naturalization dated 4 Feb, 1941! which means that i QUALIFY since my father was born in 1927! oh yes i was dancin' when he called.

i gave him my cc# and they are sending it out to me on monday! BUT the BAD news is all they have is the petition and i still need to go through the USCIS for the naturalization record. BUT dealing with that man in MA definately restored my hope that i am going to get this done and that ! oh yes!

whew!

mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmonico » 30 May 2008, 21:43

Hello was wondering if anyone could help me out. I called the NARA in KC for naturalization papers but they said they didnt have anything, they said to call the county court house and see if they had anything, which is where my aunt found my GGF DOI papers but nothing else. At first they told her she was in the worng place then said they didnt have anything like that there, she was persitant and finally they sent her to a different floor and one person helped her look on microfilm and thats where she found the DOI, would this be the same place to find his naturalzation papers (and should I go look myself instead or writing to them to look) or should I just write the USCIS and wait 12 months? Also who would i write to at the USCIS?

Thank you.

JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJOC1414 » 30 May 2008, 22:19

Day, I'm so happy it worked out for you. You wanted a human being to contact you and that's exactly what happened, much faster than you (or anybody) could have asked for!

It's just a shame you still need to go through the USCIS for the final papers, especially when it's axiomatic that your grandfather could not have naturalized before your father was born, given the date of his Petition. I have recently read of a case (unfortunately I can't recall the site) where somebody presented only the Petition because, as in your case, it precluded the possibility of the parent being born after naturalization. According to this person, this was accepted as sufficient proof, but my hunch tells me that not all officials would be that flexible. If there's a way for you to check it out (perhaps a relative here in Italy), it wouldn't hurt, though.

Congratulations!

JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJOC1414 » 30 May 2008, 22:55

mmonico,

It is difficult to explain why the KC office would say they "don't have anything" when they have 43,000 cubic feet of records in that office alone. My guess is that initiating this process over the phone is probably asking a lot, and with the patently absurd answer you were given, it sounds like the person wasn't about to put the phone done and search for your records.

This brochure from the KC office indicates they do have what you're looking for, either in RG 21 (District Courts) or RG 64 (NARA).

http://www.archives.gov/central-plains/ ... s-city.pdf

I think you simply need to change your approach. I would put everything in writing, even by e-mail. The KC address is kansascity.archives@nara.gov.

This link might be useful too:
http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html

Best of luck!

JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JJOC1414 » 30 May 2008, 22:59

mmonico, check out this link. It's very specific about which Naturalization records are at the KC NARA.

http://www.archives.gov/central-plains/ ... cords.html

mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmonico » 31 May 2008, 01:05

JJOC1414, thank you for all the info, I am going to send an email tonight. But as I looked on the "Quick Guide to Federal Naturalization Records at the National Archives in Kansas City, Missouri" I looked at the Nebraska Omaha circut and Distric courts and the dates that they have records, and just my luck the dates my GGF signed his DOI and everything thing else is not in their records. It says they have no records from 1916-1930. and thats when he would have been naturalized. If this is true then thats maybe why the lady i talked to couldnt find anything, so I think i have to go to the distric court in Omaha and try to find it there. Unless anyone has any other advice???

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”