A reputable agency to assist gaining Dual Citizenshi

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

A reputable agency to assist gaining Dual Citizenshi

Postby JamesBianco » 04 Jun 2008, 17:45

Can any of you recommend an agency who is reputable and actually delivers results? I am eligible through both my mother and father and wish to begin the process.

Thanks!

mler
Master
Master

Re: A reputable agency to assist gaining Dual Citizenshi

Postby mler » 06 Jun 2008, 02:13

James, is there any reason you don't want to do this yourself? It's a great experience, and agencies can get you your documents but can't do much to speed up the process.

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 06 Jun 2008, 09:53

Well primarily because I want to do everything correctly and not make any mistakes, or order something incorrectly. I wanted an agency so that I get it right the first time. There are so many conflicting websites and forum posts on how it's done.

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby elba » 06 Jun 2008, 11:31

"There are so many conflicting websites and forum posts on how it's done."

James the problem with 'conflicting information' is often not down to the web sites and forums but in fact arises directly from the various Italian Consulates that prospective jure sanguinis hopefuls have to deal with.

Many of these consulates and their staff intepret the requirements differently... now that IS a problem. But even worse is what often happens when someone is replaced by a new member of staff and they make people start all over again. So it doesn't matter WHO gets your documentation together, when it comes to it, it will be YOU who has the appointment to present all your paperwork. Then you start 'the wait'! and that can be anything between 1 year to 5 years before they call you again...

Expats in Italy >HERE< is an excellent site and they are gradually 'sussing out' which Consulates are good, bad and indifferent. They have some pretty wise people who have been 'round the block' on this one too. Among the most knowledgeable are 'Bill 2' and 'Cristina' (the owner) - there's not a lot they don't know about jure sanguinis I assure you...

I've been a member over there for a few years, though citizenship is not my field. But have a look at their Citizenship and Beurocratic Situations Forums - there's a lot of good advice there, and if I can be of any help just shout.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 09 Jun 2008, 18:54

James, I totally agree with Elba. I went through New York, and the rules changed after our applications were submitted. It's important to stay on top of things, and since you have a vested interested in the success of your application, it is likely that you will do a better job of this than a service.

From what I've been reading, Boston is one of the easier consulates to deal with, so I doubt you'll have much difficulty. You may also want to visit: myitaliancitizenship.com There is a specific forum line that deals with the individual consulates, and you will have access to the wisdom of those who have been through the process.

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 11 Jun 2008, 03:31

Thank you so much Elba and Mler.

I did not realize that things differ Consulate to Consulate. I was under the impression things were uniform. This is especially good news if Boston is indeed a tad more accommodating!

I need all the help I can get.

:)

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 11 Jun 2008, 19:52

*Update* The consulate returned my call from this morning (Boston). The man asked me a series of questions which were obviously aimed at determining my eligibility for Dual Citizenship. Needless to say I passed the first round lol

He told me roughly what documents I would need to obtain and in what order. First he told me to write to Homeland Security to determine if My great-grandfather ever became a citizen. Then he said when I have a "no record found" letter from them, I should begin sending for certificates. He said not to bother with Apostilles until the documents are accepted and The Consulate believes there is sufficient proof.

I have already sent for the documents so i sort of skipped a step.

This is getting exciting! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”