Italian Passport & Family info

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Passport & Family info

Postby leash » 08 Jun 2008, 23:22

Hi

I am wanting to get an italian passport. I am wanting to go through my nana as my grand father was born in australia.

I am unsure of the best way to go.

Most sites i go on are american sites and being in australia that isn't very helpful.

Also any information on my family would be great. My nana Assunta Cannella born 1925 to Nancy and Dominic Cannella (unusre of when they married)
My nana then married Angelo Scecchitano and had 5 children. I think Angelo is a descendant of Bartolo and Caterina Scecchitano not 100% sure and Caterina maiden name was Mollica

Any help would be great :-)
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)

mler
Master
Master

Re: Italian Passport & Family info

Postby mler » 09 Jun 2008, 18:47

As long as your grandfather was born after 1948 AND your grandmother naturalized after your parent was born, you would qualify no matter where in the world you are located.

But don't make the assumption that you do not qualify through your grandfather. If his father was Italian when he was born, you would qualify through his line as well.

leash
Rookie
Rookie

Postby leash » 09 Jun 2008, 21:59

My gradnfather was born beofre 1948 as my nan was born in 1925.
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano

I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 09 Jun 2008, 22:24

My apologies for the confusion. I gave you incorrect information. It is important that your parent (the son or daughter of your grandmother) was born after 1948. Your grandfather's date of birth is not an issue unless you are using his maternal line.

I would guess that the odds are that you do qualify through your grandmother. It is also possible that you qualify through your grandfather's line, but more information would be needed. Dates are very important in determining citizenship.

I'd suggest that you revisit those citizenship sites. Many posters are from Australia, and I'm sure you'll obtain some good advice. Italian citizenship does not change from consulate to consulate; although often there are minor differences in procedures.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”