Which one-DNA Test

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Which one-DNA Test

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

Hello,

I am contemplating taking a DNA test to locate relatives to expand onto my genealogy tree. Any idea which of these I should use for my DNA testing? I already know my ethnic breakdown since I am 100% Italian origin; I simply wish to connect with possible relatives. Thanks.

*Ancestry.com DNA

*23andMe DNA

*Family Tree -Family Finder DNA
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Which one-DNA Test

Post by peonygirl »

You may be surprised. It is hard to say which test, depends on what you are looking for as the result. Are you searching for exact matches, people you can call or write? or for a definite estimate of where your genes came from through history? or for just confirmation that your heritage leans toward one direction or another? There are much more experienced people than I on this forum. As a person very involved and interested in building my family history, I took the AncestryDNA test. It is not the most scientific, but all I wanted was to understand more fully which way my heritage leaned. AncestryDNA will give you a possible match with cousins - first, second, and later. But you really need to understand that this is based on a few things. The pool of people in their database that have taken the DNA test, which I think is now at 700,000. It is only an estimate, so unfortunately, it will not do the hard work you seek. Best of luck with your searching - Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

This helps in deciding. Thanks, Peonygirl.
nolnacsj

Post by nolnacsj »

Gentilejoy, I know this post is several months old but in case my reply can offer additional information, I wanted to add to the previous comments. What peonygirl said about where to test depends on what you are looking for is key. What are your goals? If the main goal is to receive matches with predicted genetic relatives, then testing with all three autosomal DNA testing companies (23andMe, FTDNA and Ancestry.com) is best, as casting a wide net will give you the most results.

All three companies have their strengths and weaknesses. Each have some unique tools and features. 23andMe and FTDNA have smaller (but still significant) autosomal DNA test customer databases, but have good comparison tools, and will have customers from all over the world. FTDNA is the only one offering extensive Y-DNA and mtDNA testing (direct paternal and maternal line) and is also best for those with Jewish heritage. I do have a few Italian cousin matches there (I am half Italian) who physically live in Italy. FTDNA is the only one of the three who provides the full name of your match, and their direct contact information (email address), and people testing there are more likely to be focused on genealogy research. They are the only one of the three who stores your DNA sample for 25 years which is especially important if you test elderly relatives, and may want to do additional tests on their DNA in the future. They also have surname groups and forums.

23andMe provides the most detailed (and some believe most accurate) ethnic mixture results. All three companies provide you with your predicted ethnic mixture. However, 23andMe also does medical research, and their focus is not genealogy. Many 23andMe customers tested there to receive a health risk report which you get as part of your autosomal DNA test results, and many may not be interested in genealogy, and therefore less ikely to respond when contacted. 23andMe charges more for their test (199.00 and FTDNA and Ancestry are 99.00 US). Response rates from matches on 23andMe when you contact them tend to be lower. You may not contact your matches directly at either 23andMe or Ancestry, you must use their message system.

Customers on all three will sometimes list family surnames or provide a family tree available for view, however the most detailed family trees and access to them will be found when testing with Ancestry.com. Ancestry has now passed 2 million customers (Yes, 2 MILLION!) tested, and has the largest customer database. I now receive new matches there several times a week. However, the majority of Ancestry customers are located in the USA, though last year they started to offer their autosomal DNA test in some other countries, and I expect they will continue to expand. Ancestry customers are more likely to be focused on genealogy research and like FTDNA customers, are mostly using autosomal DNA testing as a new genealogy research tool (e.g., "genetic genealogy"). You will see your match results as part of what you receive when you purchase a autosomal DNA test from Ancestry.com, but to get the most out of your Ancestry results, it is beneficial to also subscribe to their genealogy service and link your DNA results to your family tree so there is an additional cost for that which varies depending on which subscription you choose. AARP offers a discount. Ancestry is definitely one of the leaders here, regarding providing access through its genealogy records service to genealogy records from all over the world. On the other hand, Ancestry does not offer as many comparison tools to use when looking at your DNA matches. That is why it is recommended to also test with the other two companies and upload your autosomal DNA test results from all three companies, to Gedmatch.com (free but they appreciate a donation). I have a lot of Italian matches on Ancestry, but none so far are close matches, none closer than predicted 4th cousin. This is partly due to the fact that I am only half Itailain, fewer Italians are doing DNA testing (we need more of you to test!), and also because my father was first generation Italian born in the USA, and his father (my paternal grandfather) was the only one in his family to come to America. All others apparently remained in Italy and my father does not know much about his Italian roots beyond his parents and grandparents, so I have had difficulty tracing my paternal line (ALERIO) too many generations back.

I have tried to point out some of the differences between the three companies, some good and some less desirable. The main point is that testing with all three testing companies will give you the most information, as all three will have results and have certain features which are very useful. You will learn more about "you" (ethnic mixture, finding new relatives and maybe a few surprises!). It will help you with your genealogy research. So if you were born and reside in the USA, I recommend you start with Ancestry.com. Then later you can transfer those match results to FTDNA for 39.00 (or test directly with FTDNA for 99.00) to get additional matches from their customer database. That will get you into two of the three DNA testing company databases. Upload your match results to Gedmatch.com. Then test with 23andMe.

The sample you submit is either a simple saliva sample or cheek swab. Also read various blogs such as the one by Roberta Estes or CeCe Moore or look at websites such as The DNA Testing Advisor and DNAadoption.com (you don't have to be an adoptee to benefit from the reference documents and info on that site. Anyway, I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for reading.
Female Adoptee Born 1956, Binghamton, NY
Birth Name : Cecelia
Paternal: ALERIO (USA-PA and NY and Italy)

You can find me and hundreds of other NY adoptees and birth family searching at: http://www.nyadoptees@yahoo.com and DNAadoption.com
Lizmig

Post by Lizmig »

This is a GREAT explanation of the different companies. I have had my mtdna and family finder test done on myself and Ytdna and family finder done on my brother through FTDNA We are also half Italian and no connections there though tons on our Portuguese side. So yes need many more Italians to test. The family finder test price has now been permanently lowered to $79.00. I have just sent a kit to a female cousin that I have in Chieti and can't wait to see what happens there.
Many years ago I tested my brother with Ancestry and there was never any response then a couple of years later when I tried to go back and retrieve it they said that they no longer kept it. As well as having to be a paid customer in order to view it if they did have it. I have just about maxed out my other half Portuguese side and now taking on my Italian half to search. Struggling so any recommendations would help.
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

I have done a Y-111, a MtDNA and the Ancestry DNA test.
I suggest for a 1st test to do the Ancestry test, because their web site is the most complete and pedigree based one.

To be more successful in any DNA testing, you must have your Pedigree chart researched back six or more generations and into the 1700 century.

You must also link your pedigree chart to your profile and make it public.

Once you get your ancestry results, you can share the raw data with www.gedmatch.com for more connections.

Most everyone will have holes and dead ends in the tree. DNA testing can help with ideas as to help in your research, but only if you have a well developed Tree to begin with.

Ancestry is doing 1.5 Million tests a year and have a very large database of over 5 million.

I am 100% Italian by pedigree chart, but I show up as 60% Italian Greek, 27% western European, 7% Iberian and 2% UK, 2% Finish and 1% Eastern European.
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

Truly fantastic info! Thank you!
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Hello,

It has been almost a year since the last post so I was wondering if anyone with recent experience would like to update it. My husband has agreed to be tested for the purpose of identifying his ethnic mixture.

Thank you
brogie62
Elite
Elite

Post by brogie62 »

khoney wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 00:54 Hello,

It has been almost a year since the last post so I was wondering if anyone with recent experience would like to update it. My husband has agreed to be tested for the purpose of identifying his ethnic mixture.

Thank you

I have used both Ancestry and FTDNA. Both have successfully identified previously unknown cousins and helped establish family connections that extend trees or help prove branches to be correct, or incorrect. If your aim is only ethnic mixture, be very weary of the results. They are only very gross approximations. The one benefit Ancestry has is that they give ranges for the percent ethnicities. These will at least help him know which look solid and which are iffy.

Kevin
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Thank you Kevin,

One branch of my husband's family lived in the British West Indies in the mid 1800's. Unfortunately the records were destroyed. Since the BWI had such a diverse population over time we are curious to see what other ethnicity may show up.
pearlyann

Post by pearlyann »

There is a lot of helpful information here thank you. My boyfriend is trying to find his father. We only have his first name and believe he was from Calabria. I think we will do one at a time and was thinking this order based on info here. FTDNA, Ancestry then 23andme. so paternal line, he wants to find his father rather than search for family tree but he does have italian family on maternal side too. Does FTDNA sound likethe best place to start?
brogie62
Elite
Elite

Post by brogie62 »

Either start with Ancestry or FTDNA but ultimately do both, it expands your reach to related DNA. Also, with either, export your results and import them into GEDmatch, that gives you more people to compare to. I used DNA + traditional genealogy research to help a woman discover the identity of her father.
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
debbiemfitalian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbiemfitalian »

Hi all,

A couple of questions please. Why is it necessary to go back at least 6 generations in your tree for success? And then that leads to perhaps a silly question, but I am just starting to look into this, so am learning. We can not find my GGP's baptism records, for either one (pre civil). But based on the town and parents names they gave on marriage record, we think we found their families, and I have entered them on my tree, going back several generations. At this point, I still can not certify 100% they are my family. If they are not, could that mess up my results? I am not sure how your tree comes into play?

Thanks !
Debbie
Bob
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bob »

Debbie,
People in your tree won’t change your DNA results. DNA tests are like the weather, the farther you get away from today, the less accurate it is. Weather forecasts are pretty accurate for a few days, DNA for about 5 to 7 generations. So if your tree goes back 6 generations it may help show how you connect with the matches that you get. Alternatively, the DNA test may help you build your tree back that far by matching you with people who have information that you don’t.
debbiemfitalian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbiemfitalian »

Thanks Bob,
Yes, I anticipated it could help build my tree, which is the benefit I am looking for. But didn't see how results could be better by already having 6 existing generations already there, since assuming based on straight DNA results.