NARDI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Danni

NARDI

Postby Danni » 04 Aug 2003, 06:38

I am trying to trace back my mothers family, My mother can only give me very little information on her parents and grandparents.

My mothers maiden name is Nardi and her parents are Eugenio Nardi and Luigina (nee Bifano,) Nardi from Carolei, Cosenza Calabria. I know that both my grandparents had brothers and sisters that migrated to America and Canada, but that they came to Australia around 1960/62.

I think that my grandfathers (Eugenio Nardi) fathers name was Rafaele Nardi. I know that my grandfather had 21 brothers and sisters, but that only 17 lived. I know that my grand father was the only one who came to Australia and that most of the other siblings migrated to America and Canada. My mother thinks that maybe one of his brothers (Gabrielle) may have stayed in Italy.

My grandmothers (Luigina Nardi nee. Bifano) mother and father were both married and widowed before marrying each other. My great grandmother first marriage was ironically to a Nardi also, but am told that the families were of no relation. I think that my grandmothers father (Giovanni Bifano) had 2 daughters to his previous wife, and my grandmothers mother (Carmella Bifano prev. Nardi not sure what maiden name was?) had 3 children to her first husband. Together they had 5 more children.

This is where my information stops, I do not know where my great grandparents were born or where their parents are from if they are all originally from Calabria or from somewhere else?

I do not know the names of the brothers and sisters that migrated to America and Canada.

And i have no idea where to start looking or how?
Is it even possible to find any information with the little i have to go on?

If anyone knows where i should start or how i should start i would love any tips or helpful pointers you could give!

Thanks Heaps!

Danielle Napoli
Vic, Australia.

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 04 Aug 2003, 14:14

Dear Danielle you are attempting a big and delightful research objective and I am proud of you. I could help you but you need organizaition and a clear idea of italian genealogy first. Go to a bookstore and purchase or a library and borrow a boof titled ITALIAN GENEALOGICAL RECORDS by Trafford R. Cole. When you read thru it once or twice then get back to us. You can also familiarize yourself with italian genealogy by reading the HOME PAGE of THIS WEBSITE from the beginning and clicking on the bottom of each paragraph for additional information onm each subject. Peter

Danni

Postby Danni » 05 Aug 2003, 14:02

Thanks Peter
I am thinking i have bitten off more than i can chew :? but i am going to give it my best shot. Thank you for giving me a starting point though.

Well here goes .............

Thanks Again.

Danni

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 05 Aug 2003, 14:48

some day you will smile at yourself! Peter

KEK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KEK » 06 Aug 2003, 18:12

Danni,

I've been hesitating about posting this because it doesn't help in your research.

Anyway, I know my great-grandmothers madien name was Maria Nardi. I'm not sure where she was born.

I do know she lived and died in Baia e Latina and died on October 11, 1906.

When I went to the Ellis Island records there are over one thousand Nardi's so this must be a common name in Italy.

You will find the research fascinating. You will also find this one of the most helpful sites on the internet. Peter, Maurizio and Edmundo are the greatest!!!

KEK

Candy

Postby Candy » 06 Aug 2003, 18:57

Danielle,

Perhaps I can help in your search for your family that originated in Carolei. I have extracted many of the civil births, marriages, and deaths. Unfortunately the filmed records that I use end in 1910 so we need to do a bit of work to get names of your relatives that would link to the records.

There are some people here locally that came from that area in Cosenza so that may help too.

I can help you with some materials that might make your job a bit easier.

You can contact me directly. jtpa@msn.com

Candy

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 06 Aug 2003, 20:18

Candy do you plan on charging Danielle any money for youir assistance??? This forum assists freely and voluntgarfily and you are a private person (I assume) and not connected with any firm engaged in genealogy. Peter

Danni

Nardi

Postby Danni » 11 Aug 2003, 15:23

Thanks everyone for your help, I am keen to get as many ideas and tips as i can and all the help i can get the better.
I dont have a very good idea on where to start and trying to get information out of my mothers brothers and sisters is turning out to be harder than i had imagined.
I have contacted relatives in Canada and hopefully they can give me some more details.
I am at a bit of a standstill at the moment because i seem to be lacking direction.
Hopefully Candy you may be able to give me a push in the right direction?

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 11 Aug 2003, 16:28

Dear Danni I am sure Candy will be a great asset to your acquiring knowledge about geenalogy. Lots of Luck to you both. Peter

rosemary633

Re: NARDI

Postby rosemary633 » 03 Sep 2005, 09:58

Hi Danni

I am tracing my 1st husbands family tree. He was Raymond Nardi, unfortunately he passed away in 1998.
I have been ably to trace part of his family back to Vincenzo Nardi (born 1835) whom married Catterina Paolin ( born 1845).
Looking through the details I have I can't see any of the names that you are referring to.
I do know that my branch of the Nardi's came to Australia via the Marquis de Rays Expedition.
They were one of the first settlers of a place in NSW Australia called "New Italy" near Woodburn.

And that Lorenzo Nardi, (that's one of Catterina & Vincenzo Nardi's children) was one of the first descendents of "New Italy" that died while serving in the Australian Armed Forces.

Mount Nardi in NSW, near Lismore was named after my first husbands great great uncle.
The Nardi's also worked on the Snowy Mountain Scheme.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but hopefully it will.

If you have been able to get any other information regarding your branch of the Nardi's it would be interesting to compare notes.

Rosemary

Return to “Italian Genealogy”