Banci, Sergo, Brenko from Istria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Banci, Sergo, Brenko from Istria

Postby vbanci » 12 Jul 2008, 04:29

I am hoping to connect with relatives and friends of my family in Italy and wherever in the world they may live.

My parents have both passed away and there is no-one to ask anymore. They were from Istria, had been for generations, until World War II. They were both raised in Pola.

My father is Mario Giovanni Banci, of Giovanni Banci and Antonia Snevich. He was born in Pola on August 29 1921. There are no surviving siblings, his only brother died during the war. He was conscripted into the Italian army and served time in a POW camp in England before immigrating to Canada as a refugee in 1953.

My mother is Veronica Sergo, of Maria Brenko and Ivan Sergo, born in Pisino Istria (where my grandmother was from) on November 1 1925. She has one surviving sister, Olga, who still lives in Italy and a brother Ruggiero who immigrated to Alberta Canada, now deceased.

After the war my mother left Istria and moved to Trieste and then Biella where she married my dad. She followed him to Canada in 1957.

When they were alive, my parents would talk of cousins still living in Istria but I have no names or contacts.

Thanks to everyone who reads this and can help. I am planning to go to Italy in the fall and would very much like to visit with anyone who knew my family and would like to share memories.

Vivian Banci

Return to “Italian Genealogy”