help with italian surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tenby
Rookie
Rookie

help with italian surname

Postby tenby » 12 Jul 2008, 18:17

is there an italian surname for wilson i am doing a search for someone and the name they have given me is mary ann wilson born treste italy also john rule wilson born same place?

regards

lynne

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: help with italian surname

Postby elba » 13 Jul 2008, 05:57

I checked the Pagine Bianche (talian White Pages phone book) for Wilson's in Trieste - there were none - BUT checking Veneto (the 'region') it showed 11 contacts with the name Wilson. Just click on this link.... there are TWO pages.
>Wilson - Veneto<

But having said that - there are more in Friuli - Venezia Giulia..... (and that's just two regions - so it looks as if it IS an established name)
>Friuli - Venezia Giulia<
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Re: help with italian surname

Postby Joannsalvo » 13 Jul 2008, 10:35

Hi,
I have relatives through marriage who immigrated from Calabria whose last name was Guglielmelli but changed it to Williams upon arrival to the USA. I was lucky that my Aunt recalled that a cousin married a Williams so I checked ancestry.com census records. I did a search on my relative's maiden name and found a Williams on the same street.
It took me a while but I actually found the Guglielmelli/Williams family in MN.

Good Luck on your search.
Joann

Return to “Italian Genealogy”