castellian ancestor

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pduvall

castellian ancestor

Postby pduvall » 17 Jul 2008, 19:38

please could someone help i have been trying to find information on my gggrandfather without much luck i would like to find information on his ancestors and any brothers or sisters he may have had, also would like to find out when he came to liverpool, the information i have on him is not much i cant write off for his birth cert as all i know is he came from naples his name was matthew castellian b naples 1841 he at some point came to liverpool where he married and had several children please could anyone tell me how i could find this info as i am going around in circles trying to find something and getting absolutly NOWHERE
pat

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: castellian ancestor

Postby Seraphina » 17 Jul 2008, 20:56

Is this your ancestor on the 1891 census for Liverpool? : Matthew Castellion, born about 1829 Italy, wife Mary?

Have you searched the UK census online? Or Births, Marriages & Deaths? Do you know where he lived in Liverpool? Have you any other info that might help you to work back to Italy, for instance did he take out British naturalisation?

Did a quick search on the Italian phone book online, but the name Castellian does not exist in Italy nor does the name Castellion, so it looks like it altered some time after he came to Liverpool, due to mis-spelling by Registry clerks probably.

Seraphina
England

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 18 Jul 2008, 06:55

For reference, pduvall has another post here:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =9285.html
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

pduvall

Postby pduvall » 18 Jul 2008, 21:01

hi seraphina,
thankyou for your reply,
i had a suspicion the name castellian was not from naples at least, somewhere i remember being told he (or maybe his ancestors) were from scicily although it says on the census he was born in naples do you know how i can find out the origonal surname as it is spelt lots of different ways throughout the various census or even how to send for his birth certificate as all i know is as i have said he was born in naples according to the bmd records he died 1901 aged 61 b 1941 registred as matthew castellian i have also read on an italian surname website tha name may originally have been castelli but again i cant find any proof of this and dont even know how to get off the ground with this search and it is driving me mad it is so frustrating.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”