FHC records finished......now where?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

FHC records finished......now where?

Postby Sirena » 02 Aug 2008, 20:11

The records for S. Giuliano di Puglia only go back as far as 1820 on the FHC films. Since those were birth certficates, I have the previous generations names and ages and even found one ancestor's name who was a witness at one of those births and he was 60..........but what is the best approach now? It seems they are all still coming from the same town. Should I contact the comune or do you think I'd have better luck with the church?
One more question......how far back have others been able to go? Is there a point the records stop/ originally started? Thanks for your input.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: FHC records finished......now where?

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Aug 2008, 20:37

The usual step are church records which are not as accessible is the the next logical step back to 1700's. =Peter=

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 03 Aug 2008, 14:35

If you are lucky the parish records go back to 1540 which is when the Church ordered their parishes to start keeping records. Many did not actually start the process until the early 1600's. Some parish records are in great condition, others are so bad the priest will not allow anyone to even touch them.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Sal » 04 Aug 2008, 13:50

I am not sure if this holds true in other parts of Italy, but in Trentino (my research area), I found it common that records of a village could be with the records of another nearby "mother" church. Some churches, before they became parishes operating on their own, were overseen by a larger parish church of a larger nearby village. This was the case with my ancestral village (Cunevo) and with one of my g-gm's villages (Segno) -- their records were included with the records of the larger church. Just a thought that may or may not be of help.

Sal
www.trentinoheritage.com

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 04 Aug 2008, 20:20

Sirena wrote:The records for S. Giuliano di Puglia only go back as far as 1820 on the FHC films. Since those were birth certficates, I have the previous generations names and ages and even found one ancestor's name who was a witness at one of those births and he was 60..........but what is the best approach now? It seems they are all still coming from the same town. Should I contact the comune or do you think I'd have better luck with the church?
One more question......how far back have others been able to go? Is there a point the records stop/ originally started? Thanks for your input.

if you find a processetto of someone ancestor you can descover much, because it are also church records of bride and groom ancestors, back of 2/3 generations:
San Giuliano di Puglia:
processetti 1810-1824
processetti 1825-1834 1835
processetti 1835, 1836-1844
processetti 1845-1854
processetti 1855-1862 1863
processetti 1863, 1864-1865

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... o+civile++
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Sirena
Elite
Elite

Postby Sirena » 05 Aug 2008, 16:29

Thanks for all your ideas & information.

Suanj, I have the film now for the 1845 processetti. The marriage certificate was at the beginning of the film. I did not even realize there was more to the film. Thanks so much......I will go back to find more.
I will let you know how it's going.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”