The Anthony Problem

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

The Anthony Problem

Postby fredoniapeaches » 05 Aug 2008, 17:24

You guys are all so wonderful...I was hoping you could help me in my search...i've been searching for a while for these people...and It's driving me up the wall!!

My great great grandfather Ferdinando DiLorenzo, stayed in Genesee Falls, NY with his Brother and his Wife in 1900. on the census, it has Fred's children listed as his brother's children. that's not really the issue though.
His Brother Anthony DiLorenzo (they are actually listed as Lawrence's on the census) and sister in law Catherine. after that census...i can't find them again. I can't find their immigration to ellis island...nothing.
Also staying with them was their sister "Mary Lawrence", not sure if that was her married name (then she would be sister in law) or if she was using traditional name practices. she was listed with her son Tony.
and that is all the information i really have on them too!!

then Fred's children...
Caterina DiLorenzo...aka Catherine...Cate...Lawrence...b. 1889 d. 1972
was married in 1904 in Rochester NY to Paul Giammarino they had a daughter named Helen. at some point they lived in NYC for a while...but she was home in Rochester NY when she passed. I do not have the 1910-1930 census for her...nor can i find anyother info on her. or her family.

Anthony (aka Tony Lawrence)...b. Jan 1891 ...I need a 1920/30 census for him. I do not know if he got married or had any children...or when he died. there are too many Tony's!!!

Mary DiLorenzo...b. either Nov/Dec 1894 or Jan 1895. in 1910 married Angelo Cesare. they had a son Albert Cesare in 1919...he died in 1999. i don't know if he ever married or had children. nor do i know if Mary and Angelo had other children.

finally...Julia DiLorenzo (Lawrence)...b. sept 1895. i do not have a 1920/30 census for her, nor do i know if she ever got married, had kids or when she died.

any help any of you can give is super greatly appreciated...you all seem to work some magic on this site.

vj
Master
Master

Re: The Anthony Problem

Postby vj » 05 Aug 2008, 19:36

Just for reference
direct link to ancestry.com (subscription)
1900 census
(having problems with imageshack)

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 05 Aug 2008, 20:00

fredoniapeaches wrote:Also staying with them was their sister "Mary Lawrence", not sure if that was her married name (then she would be sister in law) or if she was using traditional name practices. she was listed with her son Tony.
and that is all the information i really have on them too!!

Hi,
it's just a little clue but I noticed that Mary Lawrence's son Anthony was born in 1894 in Brazil...

Laura

fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Postby fredoniapeaches » 05 Aug 2008, 20:13

Yeah...i noticed that too...but it doesn't surprise me. In many forums online (mostly through ancestry)...alot of DiLorenzo's went to Brazil and Australia. She must have gone to Brazil first...then came up here with the rest of the family shortly there after (Anthony's birth).

these people are very ellusive. It's taken me a year or so to get what info i do have. and to find the few family members that will talk to me...there was a bunch of bad blood in the family way back when...and everyone pretty much stopped talking to everyone else or just would talk period. the family doesn't talk about family...blah blah blah...well, they're all dead now...so i can be as nosey as i want to be!

Also...I have been having trouble tracking down my grandfather...He did a stint in Elmira Federal Pen in Elmira, NY back in the late 30s or early 40s...he took the fall for his father...his name was (at birth) Wilfred DiLorenzo...it changed to Wilfred Lorenzo...then to Will Lawrence...then to Larry Lawrence...and people wonder why i have so much trouble.

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 10 Aug 2008, 14:18

I can tell you what your problem probably is. The "Di" at the beginning of the name.

I also had a heck of a time finding censuses and other documents for my grandfather.

I hope you are using ancestry to search for the census. The reason is..you have all the time in the world to play around with the name.

16 years ago, I couldnt find the things that I did using ancestry. I only joined them a for month...twice.

My grandfathers name is also Anthony. The Di..is the beginning of DiBattista.

When I search..I have to put the name in several ways. DiBattista, DeBattista. Then both of those, leaving a space between the Di and the rest of the name. I then try Battista, Batista, Battisti, Battiste, Battisto.

Of course, I then have to try them all with Antonio, Anthony and Tony as a first name.

I found him in one of the censuses as Tony Baptiste. Dont even ask me..how I managed to find that.

I recently volunteered to index records for the FHL (online). I have been viewing a ton of censuses. A whole lot of entries have poor spelling, so records could be difficult to find because of that..then of course, there is the person indexing, like myself, who could read something and take their very best guess, not to have to type (unreadable) in that field.

Anyway..if you dont belong to ancestry, I suggest you join for a month or two. You can then search at your leisure and try all of these spellings. I found things there, that I never found when I originally searched in the NYC pubic library, 16 years ago. Another plus..is ancestry has a sharp clear image..unlike what I viewed on the films.

Good luck to you.

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 10 Aug 2008, 14:23

Me again.

Also..when you search..dont only try one first name. Try them all. Sometimes, you cant pull the record up with the name of the head of household, (perhaps because of the poor spelling or indexing) but, it will come up with the wifes name or the name of a child.

I have even gone page by page, searching censuses for small towns. Believe it or not..I managed to find someone doing that.

Time is the key. You dont have that kind of time, if you have to search, outside the home.

Good luck.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Aug 2008, 20:33

I believe that Catherine Lawrence wife of Fred died in 1901... because I found a interesting 1910 census in Rochester... the transcrption of Ancestry.com is wrong, but it are:
-Fred Lawrence head Italy age 50 imm. 1885, second marriage( married from 9 years)
-Maud Lawrence wife age 35, imm. 1900, married from 9 years, first marriage, children 6, 5 living;
-Anthony Lawrence age 17
-Julia Lawrence age 15
-Peter Lawrence age 14
-Louis Lawrence age 12
-Joseph Lawrence age 16
-Carl Lawrence 8
-Frank Lawrence 7
-Carmela Lawrence 5
-Fred Lawrence 2
-Lucy Lawrence 3/12

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4825 ... wc6.th.jpg

I believe right census.... Mary married in 1910 and so no in family census... ditto for Kate... if this census is right, as I believe, this could be the :

1920 United States Federal Census
about Ferdinand Laurence
Name: Ferdinand Laurence
[Ferdinand Lawrence]
Home in 1920: Rochester Ward 11, Monroe, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Madelina
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1880
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 715
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ferdinand Laurence 60
Madelina Laurence 45
Frank Laurence 16
Carmel Laurence 15
Frederick Laurence 12
Lucy Laurence 10
Salvadore Laurence 8

Ferdinand is a bit more young, but with a young wife, it is normal....

and, finally, in 1930 census the family have italian surname:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Fred Dilorenzo
Name: Fred Dilorenzo
Home in 1930: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Fred Dilorenzo 71
Fred Dilorenzo 22 son daughter
Lucy H Dilorenzo 20 daughter
Salvador Dilorenzo 18 daughter
Anna Dilorenzo 21 daughter in law
Lillian Dilorenzo 5 grandaughter

Maud, second wife also decesead...

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

Postby fredoniapeaches » 11 Aug 2008, 14:38

I have all those census.
let me clarifiy...Maud...Madeline, Maddalena (all the same person) is Fred Sr.'s Second wife.

His first wife Carmela Parillo (or Parella) died in childbirth in 1900 (before the census was taken). so Fred was living with his Brother Tony and Tony's wife Catherine.

I have married records from my great grandparents, and from aunt catherine and aunt mary etc...that their mother was Carmela, and I have Carmela's ship manifest with Fred, when she came to America.

I've had an ancestry account for sometime...and weeding through the incorrect, misspelled, and misled information has just been exhausting.

Maud died in 1929. the Rochester Library gave me that info. Also, the Holy Sepulcre Cemetary sent me a picture of Fred & Maud's head stone. nice people...very helpful.

I'm just having trouble finding where some of these people ended up.

Tony and Catherine (from the 1900 census) that was Fred's brother...what happened to them?

My aunt Cate...can't find her in NYC or any other census after what 1910?

and that Mary with the son Tony born in brazil...whatever happened to them and who was she married to? did they have more kids??

it's very tiring being this nosey...i have to say! :)

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 11 Aug 2008, 19:23

LOL Tell me about it.

I am also left with a lot of questions that surfaced after I found certain records.

I also wondered, if at certain points, these people just didnt open the door for the cenus taker.

If I had to take my best guess of why you cant find the censuses..its because of the misspellings..and I believe that more than ever, now that I am indexing them daily.

The spelling mistakes by the census takers are unbelieveable. I dont know what ancestry tells the people that index for them, but the FHL wants theirs typed exactly as we see them. The only thing I am supposed to correct is the spelling of a state. (I never saw so many different versions of spelling Virginia.)

I know, as I type this stuff..that some of the names are grossly misspelled...but I am typing the Margritts ar Margritt, or Margrett, or Margrit..knowing that its probably spelled wrong. I wonder, more now than ever, how some of these people will ever locate some of these census entries.

It took me a long time to locate all 4 for my grandfather..some, I went page by page...keeping a list, on paper..so I didnt search the same place twice.

If you have searched using Di, De, ommitting the D altogether..then try messing around with the first letter after the Di.

I believe your census is out there..somewhere. Its only a matter of fooling with the misspellings.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 13 Aug 2008, 15:52

Tony and Catherine (from the 1900 census) that was Fred's brother...what happened to them?

Ages are off from the 1900 census, do the 2 nephews belong to your family?

possible 1910 census

Home in 1910:
West Side Union Street
Wheatland, Monroe, New York

Head Antonio Lorenzo 53, abt 1857
- married 27 yrs, abt 1883
- in US 26 yrs? (immig 1884) Na
- Hotel, ?, employer
Wife Caterina Lorenzo 46, abt 1864
- immig 1884
Boarder Calogero Fiorica 27
Nephew Peter Lorenzo 18, abt 1892 NY
Nephew Carl Lorenzo 8, abt 1902 NY
More boarders:
Amedeo Colasanto 38
Benedette Gaelonia 20
Naggarien Martine 35
Lurri Giannino 42
Bridgette Crusco 73
Pasnoalal Capozzi 40
---

Same Catherine as 1910 census? living with another nephew?

page 2

Home in 1920:
Farm
Wheatland, Monroe, New York

Head James Lorenzo 18, abt 1902 NY
Aunt Katie Lorenzo 60, abt 1860 IT
- immig 1900, Na 1906
- widow
Boarder Mary Cesare 26
Boarder Angelo Cesare 32
Nephew Albert Cesare 10/12
Boarder Amateo Colasanto 46

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 14 Aug 2008, 15:26

Mary DiLorenzo...b. either Nov/Dec 1894 or Jan 1895. in 1910 married Angelo Cesare. they had a son Albert Cesare in 1919...he died in 1999. i don't know if he ever married or had children. nor do i know if Mary and Angelo had other children.

until 1930 no more children:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Angelo Caesar
Name: Angelo Caesar
Home in 1930: Wheatland, Monroe, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888

Spouse's Name: Mary

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Angelo Caesar 42
Mary Caesar 36
Albert Caesar 11
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 14 Aug 2008, 16:04

Caterina DiLorenzo...aka Catherine...Cate...Lawrence...b. 1889 d. 1972
was married in 1904 in Rochester NY to Paul Giammarino they had a daughter named Helen. at some point they lived in NYC for a while...but she was home in Rochester NY when she passed. I do not have the 1910-1930 census for her...nor can i find anyother info on her. or her family.

You have the 1920 census? Helen birthyear?
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”