Reading Italian birth records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Reading Italian birth records

Postby Fish1234 » 07 Aug 2003, 22:45

Hello to all. I am brand new to the group and researching my family in Cosenza. I recently found out that the birth date is not the same as the date the birth report was filed. I was upset because I thought I had the perfect info but it looks like I need to do more digging. So my GG mother was born in Rogliano on 4/10/1885. Does anyone know how long (typically...if there is such a thing as typically) after this date she would have been presented to the local office and registered? I have the microfilm at my local Family History Center but am not sure how far forward to look. Would it usually have been within a few weeks?
Fish1234

Postby ptimber » 07 Aug 2003, 22:52

for girls and boys it would be for either weeks or several months. When boys were born close to the end of the year like november, december, parents would wait for the new year and then declare the birth so that the son could styick around for another year before he was drafted into the army and help out the family one more year. Usually when men came back from the army they married and were busy witrh their onw family. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy