communes in bari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

communes in bari

Postby ChrisMosca » 19 Aug 2008, 20:56

Is there a way to find out exactly from what commune in the province of bari are my grandparents from without having to contact each individual commune? any help will be appreciated.
thank you
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Re: communes in bari

Postby MauroMags » 19 Aug 2008, 21:47

Hi Chris,

My family stems from Molfetta (BA) and I'm somewhat familar with some Barese surnames. According to the following site, the mosca surname is somewhat common in Bari itself and in Canosa Di Puglia.

Avitree

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Aug 2008, 21:51

The most immediate are USA entry records normally those of ellisisland.org, naturalization records, social security death records (if deceased after 1962) Military records in the province where the grandparents resided, if known, oral family history, old letters, fotos, documents, name of patron Saint in their town of origin. name of ship and year or approximate year of arrival in the USA. US army registration WW1 and WW11. Putting in title of www.google.com (SURNAME)GENEALOGY,(PROVINCE if known) ITALY. This will research all persons who have conducted research on your grandparents name in the province and/or Italy. I feel sure there are other sources but these should suffice forlocating the comune of origin in most cases. =peter=

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 19 Aug 2008, 21:52

thanks for the information, I guess i should have put the last names i was looking for, I'm actually looking for pizzoglio and lobasso coming from the province of bari.
thanks again.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Aug 2008, 21:55

Dear Chris It is of no matter that you left out the surname since the procedures I outlined can be initiated by you. =Peter=

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 19 Aug 2008, 21:55

they never went to the U.S, they migrated to Santos in brasil and then to argentina.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Aug 2008, 21:58

Postscript: Go to www.worldvitalrecords.com and just put either first and last name and nothing else. it is a paying site but free for name checks which also provides town of origin and easier to check than ellis island. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Aug 2008, 22:04

Dear Chris it is either TORITTO or GIOVINAZZO, =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Aug 2008, 22:19

There is a record for 7 PIZZOGLIO and 13 LOBASSO entering Buenos Aires as immigrants. =Peter=

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 19 Aug 2008, 22:19

thanks again peter, I found officials websites for both communes and sent email, if I don't a responce in a week or so i will send letters to them, thanks again. Hopefully one of them is right, I did sent a letter to the commune of bari and they told me that they had no records of them being born there, hopefully one of these is it.

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 19 Aug 2008, 22:21

did you use the world banks website?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Aug 2008, 22:50

No only as a secondary source but it does furnish, as you know, a place of origin. I suspect that Pizzoglio comes from Piemonte in Biella province and not provincia Bari by the way. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Aug 2008, 23:23

Dear Chris I left out NOT for world bank data for places of origin. You might want to try paginebianche.it for Pizzoglio in BI (Biellaprovince).=Peter=

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 19 Aug 2008, 23:51

thank you, i just finish talking to my aunt in argentina, and she only knows of lobasso being from somewhere in bari, but she didn't know where pizzoglio's came from in italy, so you are probably right about piemonte, i assumed because they married eachother that they were both from bari.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Aug 2008, 02:23

Dear Chris why didn't you tell me about your Aunt and your folks immigrating to Argentina in the first place. It would have not changed my responses. I was left with questioning your motives? =Peter==

Return to “Italian Genealogy”