Looking for information on Filippini Family from Costacciaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vbchmum

Looking for information on Filippini Family from Costacciaro

Postby vbchmum » 21 Aug 2008, 00:26

Hello all,

I am new to the site, and have been fascinated by all of the information available, as well as the extremely helpful and friendly people on the message boards.

I apologize in advance if someone has ever posted this before, but when I did a search, I didn't come up with anything.

I am looking for any information about the Filippini Family from Costacciaro (Perugia). My grandfather's name was Lorenzo, and my grandmother's name was Artemisia. They, along with many other family members, emigrated to the United States between 1901-1921. I was successful in finding almost all of the ship manifests, but am curious about the family that remained in Italy. I believe my great-grandfather's name was Valentini, and my great-great-grandfather's name was Giovanni. My grandmother's maiden name was also Filippini. Yes, it is a running joke with my father and I, but he has assured me many times that they had it checked out before they tied the knot to make sure they weren't related. lol

I would love to find out about relatives that stayed in Italy and those who currently live there. There is also a rumor in my family that we had a different last name at one point, but they changed it to Filippini (while in Italy) for some reason. I think some elderly family members in Italy knew why, but wouldn't tell anyone.

If anyone has knowledge of this family, or any ideas how I could find out more about them, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for information on Filippini Family from Costacc

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Aug 2008, 02:19

The nearest familily history library of the Mormon church nearest you has the facilities and where ther microfilm canbe rented for Costacciaro for allbirths,marriages and deaths from 1808 to 1910. The facilities wil enable you to make copies and even DVD's. You should bring along a companion book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson which is a companion book for the micorfilm. The rental is about $5.00.

Further you can go to www.paginebianche.it for any current persons having the surnames you are most interested in researching in Costacciaro. You cancontact them by telephone or snail mail in english or Italian via form letter for potential relative (www.mangeruca.com). =Peter=

vbchmum

Postby vbchmum » 23 Aug 2008, 05:38

Thank you so much for your response, Peter! I appreciate your help :D

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Aug 2008, 05:50

Filippini is an Italian surname derived inaltered form from the base surname Filippi dating back to the 11th and 12th century. Based upon its Greekmeaning " lover of horses or friend of horses and later took on the significance of the cult worship of Saint Filippo in Italy during those centuries. ==Peter=

grassigrl

Re: Looking for information on Filippini Family from Costacciaro

Postby grassigrl » 08 Jun 2015, 03:57

I know this response is just a little late, but I just came across this forum. We are related. Lorenzo was my grandfather's brother, and I believe Artemisia was my mom's Godmother.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”