Peter Timber re surname information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ersilia

Peter Timber re surname information

Postby ersilia » 03 Sep 2008, 00:42

Peter
I was reading a post further down about the origins of a surname and I was wondering if you could check the origins of one for me please? or if you could tell me where to look I would be happy to do that also.

the surname is GARVANI - I have done the usual searches and their are only a few by that name and I suspect they are family but because of events in the past I can't approach them directly.

anyway I hope you can give me some insight to the name.

thank you
Ersilia

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Peter Timber re surname information

Postby PeterTimber » 03 Sep 2008, 02:49

Garvani is not listed as an italian surname in the surname dictionary. There is a cluster of Garvani in the La Spezia province of Liguria (4) which borders Toscana region (6). There is an indication that it may be Greek in origin but research in Google may give you more information. Put inthe title Garvani surname genealogy Italy and see where that takes you.

To find the 4 and 6 persons in Italy currently eresiding in Liguria and Toscana regions go to www.paginebianche.it and put in garvani in the first line and then first put in Liguria in the second line and the next go round put in Toscana for that listing.

There is aGiovanni Garvani that married a amabile Lunardelli in NYC in january 17,1899. His parents were Antonio garvani and his mother Rosa Conti. There is no other information. There is one in Argentina and thats about it. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 03 Sep 2008, 02:51

The first name is mariano not Giovanni Garvani sorry. =Peter=

ersilia

Postby ersilia » 10 Sep 2008, 06:44

thank you Peter, I already had all that information. I was basically just trying to find out the origin of the name and why there would only be those few people with the surname ( I am pretty sure they are all relatives). I have a feeling that it may have changed somewhere down the line and I was wondering what it could have been. we can't be that "unique" (if you know what I mean)

anyway thanks for your help

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Sep 2008, 12:14

It is quite possible the surname was imported from abroad and semi or fully adapted to italian phonentics, spelling etc and consequently changed from its original. This is why I advised you to go to www.google.com and insert in the title GARVANI surname genealogy Italy (later try Greece and see what happens). =Peter=

ersilia

Postby ersilia » 11 Sep 2008, 01:00

Peter,

I had done what you suggested but nothing of any value came up. the greek bit that came up was for a fellow whose name was George Arvanitides. or G Arvanitides. so it don't think there is anything there. anyway I had better continue searching. thank you for your help

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Sep 2008, 01:42

If you try www.findmypast.com and just doname check for Garvani and it will be free clicking on small numbers for easy tracing in England. Also www.worldvitalrecords.com for same name check only and its free up to vcertain point. =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”